please advise on resume

There is too much information in the top part . . . you should make it bullets and take out words or summarize

Sorry. I fell asleep after “Basel II Implementation Plan.”

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Sorry. I fell asleep after “Basel II > Implementation Plan.” haha

I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m looking over > the resume of person from MIT majoring in > electrical engineering and Joe Blow Smoe > University with a business major. I don’t know too much about Maryland, but I do know somebody who went there and graduated when he was 18 and went on to complete a Phd in partical physics from MIT at 23 years old. I would hazard that he had a very high GPA at Maryland, so I guess MIT thought that was good. He did not go into finance though, instead builds laser guided intergalactic warships or something.

eureka Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > > > I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m looking > over > > the resume of person from MIT majoring in > > electrical engineering and Joe Blow Smoe > > University with a business major. > > I don’t know too much about Maryland, but I do > know somebody who went there and graduated when he > was 18 and went on to complete a Phd in partical > physics from MIT at 23 years old. I would hazard > that he had a very high GPA at Maryland, so I > guess MIT thought that was good. He did not go > into finance though, instead builds laser guided > intergalactic warships or something. I did say that the hard sciences are good at Maryland bro, but that’s about it.

I would definitely include the GPA. You are a recent grad and it is very relevant. For those who think he should take it off. Let’s say you get two resumes on your desk. One with just UofMaryland and no GPA or academic indicators on it and another one like the OP’s. For all you’d know, the first resume might be from someone who had a 2.0. There’s a big difference and how would an employer be able to distinguish? You might have just been thrown in the reject pile if you didn’t include that stuff.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > steph96 Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I think most people would be impressed w/a > near > > > perfect GPA. Spare me the BS that it isn’t > > > impressive from a state school. Plus, you’re > a > > > recent grad (I consider May 2008 recent > anyway). > > > > > If you left your GPA off, it could raise > > > questions. > > > > > > I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m looking > over > > the resume of person from MIT majoring in > > electrical engineering and Joe Blow Smoe > > University with a business major. > > I didn’t say that it is the same as a 3.95 gpa > from an Ivy school, did I? My point was that a > near-perfect GPA is impressive, even from a state > school. Don’t forget there is grade inflation at ivys EDIT: to comment on the snow’s resume… for a recent grad I think the resume is pretty good. great gpa and some solid work exp. You can’t italicize the CFA candidacy thou. Too much stuff going on in the undergrad club area imo.

Yeah, absolutely include the GPA. It’s great. As BiPolarBoy says, widdle down the extra-curriculars. I know I always laugh when people include leadership positions in Greek organizations, though others may actually think that means something (social skills? Those can be demonstrated in person.) Also, if you want to get into ER or something like that, include more layman’s terms in the accounting job descriptions. Use bullet points and fewer words. By the way, I’m 30 with 8 years of investment experience and a recruiter chided me recently for not including my undergrad GPA on my resume. She said it looked like I was trying to hide it by not including it. I just figured I was far enough away from school that including it was kind of juvenile. Guess not.

You could get rid of a couple items, but I wouldn’t take too much off in terms of extra-curriculars – you just graduated last year, so that experience is still relevant. And definitely don’t take off ALL the Greek involvement. You never know when you’ll be interviewed by a fraternity brother, and that can get your foot in the door. Those that are Greek know that chapter leadership positions teach you a lot more than how to plan parties.

Yes, they also teach keg-standing and how to have s*x in a shower with witnesses.

in summary, it’s an overly verbose resume that indicates this person is boring and one-dimensional. I’d trash it immediately, but the GPA is stellar.

My fraternity hosted a lecture by Carlos Ghosn.

cfa2grunt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yes, they also teach keg-standing and how to have > s*x in a shower with witnesses. I LEARNED THAT TOO!!! Oh…wait.

Thanks to everyone who provided useful comments, i particularly appreciate the cold honesty (and thanks to I passed level 1 for all the condescending comments). Just wanted to address some of the main pieces of advice I recieved: “Make sure your resume is targeted at whatever jobs you’re applying for. This resume is not targeted for investment management/CFA type work if that’s what you’re looking to do.” - Yes I am trying to apply for a front office buy-side job, but I don’t see how else I can target my resume based on the experiences I have. I can’t just make stuff up, what is above is what I have so I will need to catch a break I guess. “It looks extremely detailed/small font for someone only one year out of undergrad to the point of being an eyesore. Highlight the bigger points and eliminate the smaller ones.” - If i eliminate the details then I’ll be told that I’m being to vague, so I don’t know where the balance is and what detail you are referring to. “Words like “analyzed” and “involved in” are pretty useless. Point out how your efforts made a difference to revenue, costs, etc. if that’s possible.” - I work in consulting and have been here for one year so it is hard for me to make the argument that I turned a company around if you know what I mean. “Also, as others have mentioned, I would clean up the small font. I like spaces between bullet points, it makes reading (glancing) easier. And try working your Greek angle (affinity works).” - I will work on the fonts but I don’t see where you would suggest more spaces. There are already spaces between each section and job, and I’ve never seen spaces between every single bullet point in a resume. Also not sure what you mean by my Greek angle (Greek refers to Greek life at college, not my background). “My only suggestion would be to make the descriptions more concise. All the info is appropriate, but it’s a bit hard to read since there is so much text.” - will work on shortening the bullet points, i could go onto another bullet point but then it wouldn’t be organizaed as one bullet point per engagement (the way it is now) so i would need a whole slew of formatting changes “Also, if you want to get into ER or something like that, include more layman’s terms in the accounting job descriptions. Use bullet points and fewer words.” - elaborate on this please?

On a related note, you might want to consider your college recruiting network/website rather than the HH. HH’s usually go after people with substantial, specific experience over a 10+ year period. I got my current job off an alumni site 3 years out of college.

Keep the GPA on. akanska doesn’t really know what she’s talking about, but I do like seeing her use the word “*ussy”.

I heard Ken Auletta on the Charlie Rose show this week. He is the author of a new book on the founders of Google. He mentions that both men frequently asked for SAT scores during interviews.

former trader Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I heard Ken Auletta on the Charlie Rose show this > week. He is the author of a new book on the > founders of Google. He mentions that both men > frequently asked for SAT scores during interviews. This is true. My uncle interviewed with Google. He was asked about his SAT scores and High School GPA from the late 70s. Yikes