please advise on resume

I’m about to send out resume to some headhunters so was hoping someone could take a minute or two to review. I greyed out the name of my current firm (big 4 accounting firm) and current group (consulting-type work) and my previous employer (a large financial services and insurance company) as well as the cities they’re located in. Thanks in advance. http://www.razume.com/documents/12441

if your looking to change industry good luck. I am getting resumes daily and if not in same industry I am in… I junk

Goldenboy, I’m a new grad. Would you recommend not even bother applying for jobs? I’m thinking of just taking it easy for a while.

I am too…find something anything…I read recently employeers don’t like to see big gaps in your resume and prefer to hire applicants who actively seek work as it shows ambition

new grad…fire away… most folks that I know who use headhunters are exp people…

With so many qualified candidates floating around, I was just wondering if you think a new grads time could be better spent doing something else (volunteering, traveling, masters etc etc) instead of writing cover letters all day.

3.97 at a state school, congrats bud.

all those people are not looking for entry level work so no you should apply. for instance, at my shop we are hiring for accounting people almost monthly. thats an entry level job and we always need good people. its also a great place to move from into other jobs within our firm. Just in the last 10 months 5 have moved to front office roles. so some jobs are always in a hiring mood

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > if your looking to change industry good luck. No offense dude but you have no clue how poor your spelling is.

i dont care. you can spell check for me

the show NY Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m about to send out resume to some headhunters > so was hoping someone could take a minute or two > to review. I greyed out the name of my current > firm (big 4 accounting firm) and current group > (consulting-type work) and my previous employer (a > large financial services and insurance company) as > well as the cities they’re located in. Thanks in > advance. > > http://www.razume.com/documents/12441 Make sure your resume is targeted at whatever jobs you’re applying for. This resume is not targeted for investment management/CFA type work if that’s what you’re looking to do. It looks extremely detailed/small font for someone only one year out of undergrad to the point of being an eyesore. Highlight the bigger points and eliminate the smaller ones. Words like “analyzed” and “involved in” are pretty useless. Point out how your efforts made a difference to revenue, costs, etc. if that’s possible…

things that stood out to me: 1.the overly wordy descriptions of ‘university honors’ and ‘business honors’ seen a bit obnoxious for someone 3 yrs out of school. 2. when I see 3.97 GPA is more of a downer than impressive- I wouldn’t trust a school’s grading system if ppl could really get a 3.97. (ie my school’s econ department always weighted grades to ensure average = average on a 13 pt scale) this is stuff that you put on when looking for you first job/ internship. As an experienced hire I would just put your school, degree, distinction- but thats just my opinion.

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > things that stood out to me: > > 1.the overly wordy descriptions of ‘university > honors’ and ‘business honors’ seen a bit obnoxious > for someone 3 yrs out of school. > > 2. when I see 3.97 GPA is more of a downer than > impressive- I wouldn’t trust a school’s grading > system if ppl could really get a 3.97. (ie my > school’s econ department always weighted grades to > ensure average = average on a 13 pt scale) > > this is stuff that you put on when looking for you > first job/ internship. As an experienced hire I > would just put your school, degree, distinction- > but thats just my opinion. +1, overkill with the academics boast, plus you went to U of Maryland, not tip-tip stuff unless you studied hard sciences.

A resume is no place to be bashful. If you got a 3.97 gpa I don’t know why you wouldn’t put it on your resume? Just make sure that there isn’t a “catch” i.e. something funky with the grading system. In a typical undergrad curriculum you take about 40 classes, so if you got 38 A’s and 2 A-'s or B+'s you have a 3.97 gpa. Also, as others have mentioned, I would clean up the small font. I like spaces between bullet points, it makes reading (glancing) easier. And try working your Greek angle (affinity works).

I think most people would be impressed w/a near perfect GPA. Spare me the BS that it isn’t impressive from a state school. Plus, you’re a recent grad (I consider May 2008 recent anyway). If you left your GPA off, it could raise questions.

To OP, Resume content looks good. You should include that academic stuff - if you did it, why would you not? I’m pretty sure 99% of resume reviewers would like to see a high GPA there. My only suggestion would be to make the descriptions more concise. All the info is appropriate, but it’s a bit hard to read since there is so much text. Good luck.

Yeah - I would say keep the GPA, but the deans list, etc doesn’t seem necessary - your GPA speaks for itself.

steph96 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think most people would be impressed w/a near > perfect GPA. Spare me the BS that it isn’t > impressive from a state school. Plus, you’re a > recent grad (I consider May 2008 recent anyway). > If you left your GPA off, it could raise > questions. I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m looking over the resume of person from MIT majoring in electrical engineering and Joe Blow Smoe University with a business major.

you need to be less wordy. looking at your resume is an eyesore

I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > steph96 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I think most people would be impressed w/a near > > perfect GPA. Spare me the BS that it isn’t > > impressive from a state school. Plus, you’re a > > recent grad (I consider May 2008 recent anyway). > > > If you left your GPA off, it could raise > > questions. > > > I’ll keep that in mind next time I’m looking over > the resume of person from MIT majoring in > electrical engineering and Joe Blow Smoe > University with a business major. I didn’t say that it is the same as a 3.95 gpa from an Ivy school, did I? My point was that a near-perfect GPA is impressive, even from a state school.