Please help, calculator problem (TI BA II Plus)

I am working on time value of money problems and my calculator keeps giving me a completely wrong answer until I reset the calculator, by pushing the reset button at the back. For example, when calculating N=5; I/Y=8; PMT=70; FV= 1000; CPT PV= -960 I will not get the correct answer of 960 every time. Sometimes it gives answers that are way off, which causes me to reset the calculator and then I get the right answer. I will then work on a couple more problems and my calculator will give me the wrong answers again until I reset it. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I just got this calculator about a month ago.

I won’t be able to tell your problem till I got to see what you are doing exaclty but I can assume those are the following mistakes: 1) You are changing the mode to beginning mode - if your calculator is showing “BEG” on head of the screen, click on 2nd PMT 2nd ENTER 2nd CPT, it will go the end mode. It should give you right answer 2) Make sure that the signs of PMT and FV is similar and different to the PV - don’t enter (+) for FV and (-) for PMT 3) I/Y is given in integers not in decimals I can’t think of other possible mistakes at the moment … Omar

Hey, thanks for the response but I am not making any of those mistakes (I checked very carefully) I just did the following question: N=3; I/Y= 10; PMT= -100; CPT --> PV = 248.69 When I just did this question, I got 502.63 When I reset the calculator I then got the correct answer of 248.69 and I didn’t enter anything any differently. This is causing me to have to reset the calculator nearly every question…so frustrating!

Okay, I just figured out the problem. I wasn’t pressing [2nd] [CLR TVM] after each problem so it was saving my previous history and that was causing me to get the wrong answers (hence why resetting the calculator worked). Is there a way that I can change the settings so it automatically clears? Or do we always have to do it manually after each problem?

yup [2nd] [CLR TVM] solved it for me too.also 2ND CLR WORK is also used in some other situations i cannot remember where though.

amorris7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Okay, I just figured out the problem. I wasn’t > pressing [2nd] after each problem so it was > saving my previous history and that was causing me > to get the wrong answers (hence why resetting the > calculator worked). > > Is there a way that I can change the settings so > it automatically clears? Or do we always have to > do it manually after each problem? hahaha I can’t imagine i forgot this problem - I always tell the students in my tutorials to clear after each problem but it didnt cross my mind :smiley: yes you have to clear it - what I do actually is that I clear it twice just to confirm - get to this habit its really helpful OR you will have to enter all info … for example, in this set: “N=3; I/Y= 10; PMT= -100; CPT --> PV = 248.69,” you will have to enter FV of zero to get accurate answer if you dont want want to clear Omar

@confused 2010 - the CLRWRK key is used to clear the CF worksheet

I am now in the habit of clearing it right after I do a problem and before I start a new problem, just to be safe :wink:

amorris7 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am now in the habit of clearing it right after I > do a problem and before I start a new problem, > just to be safe :wink: I always just make sure I’m entering all 5 variables, there will be situations where you’ll need to enter a calculated value for FV or PV and only change the periods or payment.

^ Good tip.

BostonGeorge Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > amorris7 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I am now in the habit of clearing it right after > I > > do a problem and before I start a new problem, > > just to be safe :wink: > > I always just make sure I’m entering all 5 > variables, there will be situations where you’ll > need to enter a calculated value for FV or PV and > only change the periods or payment. Thats what I do too but I also clear if the problem I’m working with is over - just to be safe

Hi Omar

I have same problem with my BA II Plus pro.

For time values it gives me a complete wrong answer.

FV 1000

I/Y 10

N 5

CPT PV= 620.92

But my calculator gives me 886.2763

The BGN mode is off. I tried so many examples and the same thing…

can it be the calculator?

Please help

1000/(1.1^5) = 620.92 present value of a single payment of 1,000 to be received 5 years from now at 10% interest compounded annually

To do the above, P/Y=C/Y=1, PMT=0, N=5, I/Y=10, FV=1000, CPT PV 620.92

Have you ensured your settings for P/Y, C/Y, and PMT are correct?

All I can guess is you’re not clearing your TVM inputs before inputting the above, and you have a number that is not 0 in the PMT input. Solving for PMT based on your inputs and PV result, it looks like you have 70 saved in your PMT input, where it would need to be 0 to get the correct PV answer.

You can hit RCL then any of the TVM keys to tell you what input is saved there. Pressing 2ND then FV will clear your TVM inputs.

Hi, while solving TVM problems when I set input for N same is reflected with I/ Y and vice versa …have tried with reset of calculator still the same issue…plz help…

That sounds odd. Are you using RCL to double check your inputs?

M from engineering background can you tell me steps to check if I m using RCL…

Just a test, please do the following:
2nd FV (to clear TVM worksheet)
15 N 8 I
RCL N RCL I, which should show 15 and 8 respectively.

I’m having the same trouble.

I have the BA II plus pro.

Doing the same excercise

FV 1000
I/Y 10
N 5
CPT PV gives me 613.91. The BGN mode is off too and clearing TVM everytime, also checking with RCL to verify latest inputs

Please help…

Seems you have set N = 10 and P/Y = 2.

If you press [2ND] [I/Y] you should see P/Y = 2. Change it to 1. Press arrow down and make sure C/Y = 1 as well. Exit to main screen and re-do your calculations again.

2 Likes