Please help!! Question about PCP Investigation

Hey People, I recently received a letter from CFAI and it says that the Professional Conduct Program(PCP) is looking into an alleged misconduct that I I was writing the CFA Level III exam after time was called. Specifically, the allegation is: 1) Candidate wrote after time called. 2) Candidate continued to write for 10-15 seconds after he was ordered to stop by announcer. 3) Candidate continued to look through the booklet for 10 seconds. I am asked to write a response within 30 days. I know I was not writing after time was called. I was sitting at the first row, and the proctor was so close to me, I am sure I was not stupid enough to write under the eye of the proctor. It seems really absurd to me that no warning or any sort was given to me during or after the exam but yet someone has reported me to be violating CFA Code and Standards. Could someone tell me what I am supposed to do? I have also done some research, and the chance of getting out of this without voiding my exam result seems really really slim. It seems like that almost everyone who has received such a note has had their result voided in the past. Is it true? does anyone know? It would be so frustrating to have my exam voided based on an inaccurate incident report after months of preparation. I feel there is no way I can regain my justice if they decide to void my exam, because it seems like hardly anyone in the past has escaped from that(unless someone knows this is not true, and please please tell me if you do). I mean, how could it be possible that almost every “alleged misconduct” (my research suggests 67/68)eventually turns out to be a misconduct after the CFAI has investigated it? I would really appreciate anyone to give any advice on how to deal with the matter or how to write the response. What should I say in my response? And one more question: Does flipping through the booklet (not writing at all) after the exam has stopped constitute a violation of CFA Code and Standards? Any advide is greatly appreciated. thank you in advance.

Sounds like someone’s pranking you. In a college physics class that I took we used to receive our grades via email. I pranked one of my friends by inventing a phony email address that looked a lot like the professor’s and then sent my friend a very official looking email stating that he had failed the course because he had been caught cheating. He soiled a perfectly good pair of shorts that day before he figured out the joke.

My first inclination would not be try to put together a protracted explanation about it – after all, you say there’s no merit to those claims, right? I’d keep the response short and say something to the effect of, “What are you talking about? Nothing could be further from the truth.” However, that’s just me…no idea what the CFAI process is like or whatever, but I do think that not being too defensive about it is the way to go. In fact, if you know you were in the right, then getting this letter should shock you and you should naturally feel incredulous about the whole thing.

I think I recall reading about a similar situation on AF months ago… You should search. I might be wrong it may have been another forum, but it rings a bell.

Email Joey.

I would contest it if you are certain you are innocent. Ask for specific names of proctors and details. And if they can’t provide them, then say “Well I find it pretty hard to believe that you guys are right about this if you don’t even know who reported me”. Willy

Any one ever hear anything back about their PCP investigation? I have not been the subject to one, but there are many threads on investigations, but I dont think any on the outcome. Would be helpful to others in the future if anyone did get a response (hopefuly a good one).

WillyR Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would contest it if you are certain you are > innocent. Ask for specific names of proctors and > details. And if they can’t provide them, then say > “Well I find it pretty hard to believe that you > guys are right about this if you don’t even know > who reported me”. > > Willy I hope you never get to find out how impossible it is to take that kind of approach. You can’t talk to them on the phone. You can’t get them to answer questions that you would regard as fundamental (my lawyer was shocked to ask them who the complainant was on my case and have them say none of your business). All those questions about specific details just meet with a “who says that we have to reveal specific details or any details to you?”

I guess everything worked out though?

Yeah, but the PCP process sucks completely…

The only thing I’ve found that works for dealing with The PCP is to get yourself Some PCP.