Please I need your advice and suggestion

I am sorry for this long post but really appreciate your advice, suggestions or comments on my situation and questions. Background: BS (Engineering) from one of the good universities in India. MS (Specialization: Transportation Planning and Transportation Economics) from one of the good universities in the US (GPA: 3.5). One research paper & one presentation. CFA Level 3 candidate GMAT: 700+ Work Experience: 2 years part time as an assistant researcher in the US (Transportation Economics) 4+ years as a Financial Advisor in a small brokerage firm in India. Well, I pretty much messed up my life and trying to unwind a few of my actions. I invested small amount of money in Indian Capital markets and got fascinated with markets. After I graduated, I went to India to work for a small brokerage firm. I was responsible for managing High Net Worth individual client accounts. However, in this position I didn’t learn any thing except for making some nice bar and pie charts in excel. For those of you, who have an understanding of the Indian markets, speculation overrules any of the financial metrics traditionally employed by an analyst in developed markets. Without elaborating, probably it is suffice to say that I do not have any skills that are useful in the US markets. Now, I got married and came to the US (my wife works in US). To be honest, I do not even have a good understanding of what I wanted to do. I believe I am interested in pursuing any career in Finance that offers good long term growth opportunities. In a 2-day CFA Level 2 review class I got an opportunity to network with one of the instructor who is also a senior executive in the Valuation Services Group at one of the local firms in the US. I think he really liked my way of approach to solve questions and logical & analytical perspective. We kept in touch and met over lunch for 3 times. Now he suggested that he might be looking to hire one person in 2009 and he would like to consider my resume. However, I believe he doesn’t know much about me except that I am good at CFA level 2 material. So, is it realistic to expect that some thing may materialize at this time? The position was for valuation for financial reporting and tax and the possibilities may include Big 4 and smaller regional practices. I am sure I cannot perform job tasks from day one with out training. I also got admit from a decent business school with around 70% of the scholarship. Please note that I am not the one influenced by rankings. I did my due diligence and reasonably sure that the school may help me with some options after I graduate. However, my question is, if provided with an opportunity is it good to take full time position and do part time MBA? In that case, I am not eligible for scholarship and need pay around 80k in tuition but, I will gain 2 years of experience and some $$$. However, I believe the real risk is, if for some reason I lost the job, I can neither pursue an MBA nor job. I do not have any contacts except this guy. I would be thankful to your insights regarding these options and what skills are necessary to work in the valuation services.

Go for MBA (70% scholorship is a big chunk and not everyone gets it). Hopefully job market will get better when you graduate in 2 years. This is just my 2 cents. You need to prioritize things in your life. We all can provide you suggestions but you will have to make a decision.

Thank you cfaboston for your reply and suggestion. Yes, I understand that I need to prioritize things and have to make a decision. I am pretty sure that advice on the AF forum will help me in making an educated and informed decision. I would like to know more information on the Valuation Services industry and opportunities for career progress. Also, if any one can provide me information on the part-time Vs. full-time MBA from a decent school that would be helpful. Thanks,

get MBA - network hard

Thank you Daj! I will keep that in mind

You can study and still fail the CFA leaving u with nothing after 6 months. You’re better off going back to school, at least u are def going to have a degree in 2 yrs plus many contacts to go along with it.

Layman - I agree with Daj & Cfaboston…go for your MBA. 70% scholarship is great. scholarship for good MBA programs is rare to come by. Even if you start work now, MBA is something you might aspire for later. And a US MBA is highly sought after in India. Who knows, if you are to go back at some stage, it would be nice to have an MBA at 30% of the cost.

JP & Oldmonk thank you for your replies. There is no doubt in my mind that I would like to do MBA. However, if I get a job, doing a part-time MBA is helpful? Also, I would like to know what can I expect in the field of Valuation Services? In terms of career progression and nature of work.

JP & Oldmonk thank you for your replies. There is no doubt in my mind that I would like to do MBA. However, if I get a job, doing a part-time MBA is helpful? Also, I would like to know what can I expect in the field of Valuation Services? In terms of career progression and nature of work.

What’s the ranking of your B School.How good is the Job you have got.