Poll

Who’s starting with ethics on the exam?

I am…great confidence builder (in my case at least)

I agree with those who think it’s a good idea to do those sections you are most comfortable with first. In my case it’s definitely ethics, so that’s what I’ll be hitting first. Probably will save FSA for last :-p

TheAliMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Who’s starting with ethics on the exam? You just want to know so you can sit next to them and cheat, right?

Go straight though the test. You’re going to have to answer them all eventually anyways (unless you leave 1/2 way through).

I will start from question 1

dapoopa Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I agree with those who think it’s a good idea to > do those sections you are most comfortable with > first. In my case it’s definitely ethics, so > that’s what I’ll be hitting first. > > Probably will save FSA for last :-p Dangerous plan to save FSA for last. This is the most important section in terms of points. What happens if you don’t finish the exam? I think you’d want to make sure that you finish this section. If you take them in order, Alt Inv will be last and its the smallest weight too. Just my opinion but I’m speaking from my experience in June. Not finishing the smallest section won’t hurt much. Not finishing or scoring high in FSA can be killer.

Tip… Portfolio is the last few questions on the exam. So some people might prefer to do those before Asset Valuation as a boost of confidence after FSA…

My fear is messing up the numbering on the bubble answer sheet. Thus I’m going in order. Gonna check question number every 15 minutes to maintain pace

Yea…i think i’ll stick wit the 15 mins rule

i am saving ethics for last. the rest in order. except… what’s the order?

how is the morning/afternoon split up. is it all ethics, quant, eco in the morning, and all asset vals PM etc in th afternoon? thanks

It’s every area both AM & PM.

are the schweser practice exams in the same format as the actual exam? harder or easier?

I don’t think I’m going to focus on any one section at a time, but I’m gonna the '3 Pass" system Stalla suggests. Just start answering all the easy 30 second questions and move on to the ones that require more calculations in the 2nd pass. The 3rd pass would be a pure guess. It makes sense for me, all the questions are worth the same amount.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > TheAliMan Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Who’s starting with ethics on the exam? > > You just want to know so you can sit next to them > and cheat, right? Haha Joey!

bpdulog Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think I’m going to focus on any one > section at a time, but I’m gonna the '3 Pass" > system Stalla suggests. Just start answering all > the easy 30 second questions and move on to the > ones that require more calculations in the 2nd > pass. The 3rd pass would be a pure guess. > > It makes sense for me, all the questions are worth > the same amount. Interesting. Rereading questions wastes time, but I guess the benefit is not spending too much time on difficult questions.

My strategy was to start with my strong suits. If you know an area well, do it first and lock those points in. If you’re rushed at the end, you’re better off better rushing through things you had the poorest grasp of anyway than you are having to rush on things you cold have nailed. As for multiple passes, on the first pass, I marked the ones I was sure of. If I could eliminate one or more choices, I noted that starred the #, and moved on. If I had no idea, I guessed, market the question NFC in the book (i.e. No Friggin Clue) and moved on. With this approach, you’ll find that you’re done with your first pass and have market all the things you know down on the scantron. You’ve also market choices for those you have SOME clue on, while noting what choices you think might be reasonable alternatives. I found that I’d done the first pass, and was comfortable with about 70% of my choices after an hour and a half had gone by. I was able to work through the “eliminated” questions in short order. As for the NFCs, nobody’s perfect. I was done well within time, and this method reduces stress - if you look up after your first pass and see that you were relatively comfortable with 60-70%% of the questions, and still have better than half of the time to go, your stress level goes WAY down. And it makes the reviewing of the partial eliminations easier.

I started at question 1 and went through them in order. The last thing I wanted to have happen in a high-stress environment was to follow a non-sequential strategy, “cross-fire” my answers on the scantron and then have to unravel the mess. This is a clear possibility with 120 answers.

I’ve been thinking about this a bit. I figure, if you have to write the exam ten times, the difference between jumping around and doing your strong areas first versus just doing from 1 to 120, would probably not amount to a significant advantage, though there may be some gain. Basically, you either know it or you don’t, no matter which order you do the questions. There might be some small gain from busprof’s method overall, but not much. But imagine if in one of those ten exams you screw up the order and mark 5 to 10 questions in the wrong spot? Then you have to go back and double check what your answers were, all the while panic begins to grow and time is wasting away…I reckon you could easily blow 5 to 7% of the exam that way. So, basically, on a risk to reward basis, I just don’t think it is worth jumping around. It would be different if there were essay questions, short questions and multiple choice format of course. anyway, just my $0.02 worth