Portfolio Risk Tolerance

Which of these portfolios can tolerate the most risk?

Jane, a mother, has sub portfolios for:

1. $1.5mn for Funding her 18 year old son’s undergraduate, post grad med school, and funding his future medical practice
  2. $2mn for a special needs trust for another son with disabilities, to be funded within the year
  3. $1.75mn for endowing a chair at her alma mater within 2 years

The CFA answer is #1 given the “8-10 year horizon”.

I’m having trouble with is the subjective nature of the question. The question does not specify the % degree to which the goals are important (99% chance versus 70% aspirational etc), but common sense would imply that her sons education and her other sons disability trust are closer to “Needs” versus “Aspirations”. My guess would have been #3 despite horizon given the lower importance.

So in balancing time horizon versus “importance” of a goal, where do we draw the line. It seems very murky. From this question/answer my presumption is to not make presumptions about which is more important unless precisely specified in the question. But i feel like other questions want you to make presumptions.

I agree that some of the questions can be murky, but I’m fairly sure in the actual exam setting they won’t let us in limbo with subjectivity.

As for the question, if in the previous texts, Jane hasn’t stated anything of which goal is in her priorities, it makes sense to go with time horizon of the goal. 2. and 3. have explicit horizon from 1 to 2 years whereas 1. looks to have at least 8 years (undergrad+med school) of IH therefore 1. can tolerate the most risk.

As soon as you find yourself applying your own subjectivity in a question, that can be a good signal to stop that thought and focus on objective facts given in the case. Just my 2 cents!

1 Like

It won’t. Definitively.

CFA Institute’s quality control on its actual exam questions is extremely good; less so on its practice questions.

1 Like

good to know! thanks

My pleasure.