Possible to pass CFA Level 1 between now and June

hi all, I’m a medical doctor, so finance experience whatsoever. Due to start MBA in Autumn at top 10 school. So have got a couple of months to fill up. Want to do pharma equity research post MBA. Do you guys think that if I start working for Level 1 next week, I can pass it in June. My understanding being that level 1 will help me to secure equity research post MBA. Please be realistic as if I have minimal chance I dont want to study hard and waste time that I can otherwise use for travelling. I was thinking of doing an Kaplan or BPP full time course, which is basically 2 days per week 9-5 until end of May. Thanks for your help. Very much appreciated.

No, you have no chance whatsoever…(sarcasm) (If you are a doctor + you can get into a top 10 MBA…what are you so worried about? You should be able to learn this like it was a piece of creme pie a la mode). Avg human being requires 250 hours, got 10 weeks = 25 hours / week If you are a fast learner, you can cut that number down a lot.

Correction, you got closer to 15 weeks, so 250/15 = 17 hours/week (thats no factoring ur speed of learning, and how much you’ve already done)

To be honest with you, I do not belive that it is doable for a nonfinance major in such a short period of time. Just register for Dec 2008.

You have got to be kidding me. Three threads on the exact same topic? General: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?1,665047 LII Forum: http://www.analystforum.com/phorums/read.php?12,665431 & this one. Common man, either suck it up, sign up and take LI in June or get over it. You are going to get a wide variety of answers here. It all depends on what type of person you are. Some people could probably study only for one full month and pass LI the first time, others it will take years for them to pass. Is the material confusing to you or do you just “get it”. I would hope someone going to a top MBA would be able to make up their own mind or would at least be willing to risk some time and cash to see if they are good enough to pass. Are you that risk adverse?

CFA exams are probably nowhere near as tough as working in ER (the Emergency Room type) - but similar type of approach - eg level 1 is 6 hours of rapid fire problems - with 90 seconds per problem to: understand the problem, think of the principle, apply the principle, get the answer, sanity check it, then move on. No time for reflection, no time to second-guess. No going back to review. No time for indecision. Plus medical ER is real life & death stuff - CFA is just numbers. And a typical ER shift is probably 12 hours, not 6. So if you can handle a 6 hour shift in a busy ER ward then a CFA exam should be rediculously easy for you. If you really put in the hours between now and june , then 101 days till june should be fine. Bite the bullet and get on with it. Anything less than say 60 days is cutting it fine, so make a decision NOW get started…

No, You will fail

Just register in Dec. Non-finance majors often find it difficult (and even finance majors). Lvl 1 is not an exam you start studying 2 weeks in advance and get a pass. If you go for the three CFA levels, note that some MBAs barely cover half of the CFA curriculum so you need to read quite a lot of books. If you go for June, I think its doable but you will be in trouble if you think that studying 250h guarantees you a pass. Make sure you open schweser as frequently as possible so that you get into it. Studying 14h a week on Saturday is much worse than 7 days x 2 h.

2x2equals4 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just register in Dec. Non-finance majors often > find it difficult (and even finance majors). Lvl 1 > is not an exam you start studying 2 weeks in > advance and get a pass. > If you go for the three CFA levels, note that some > MBAs barely cover half of the CFA curriculum so > you need to read quite a lot of books. > If you go for June, I think its doable but you > will be in trouble if you think that studying 250h > guarantees you a pass. Make sure you open schweser > as frequently as possible so that you get into it. > Studying 14h a week on Saturday is much worse than > 7 days x 2 h. yes its possible if you have some idea of investment if think all this is just common sense if u have habit of reading business newspaper if you study from shweser study material ’ and if even if you fail you will get some idea of whole thing later it will be easy to learn stuff in finance classes and passing CFA L1