Possibly getting layed off, what to do

numi should win an award for complete replies and editing on AF. You must be a fast thinker/typer… or perhaps you spend more time formulating replies. Either or, that’s a good thing!

numi, I can see your perspective too, and you raise some valid arguments. Now, poor lad won’t know what to do. I must be in very fortunate environment. We are rather small investment shop and while people are assigned to specific teams, it’s often a case that someone take on responsibilities from different department. It allows us to run lean and always have someone to watch your back. As I said, it’s pretty nifty. Therefore, it irks me to just around.

Good stuff from numi there. I remember numi posting that he was worried about how much work there was (or rather, wasn’t). Glad to hear it had a happy ending. If you really find that you have free time, one possibility is just to find out what kind of stuff your colleagues would find helpful, and just spontaneously do it for them (to the extent that you can add value without too much of their input). For example finding a report about a particular part of the industry that is relevant to their work, or producing that report, etc… This is actually an opportunity to stake out a new role for yourself or to expand into an area that is strategically interesting to you. If you produce good and useful stuff spontaneously for people, they may bring you in on that stuff when more appears. Just make sure you have a good enough read on the office politics to avoid stepping on anyone’s toes. No supervisor wants their reporting staff helping out their arch-nemesis when their back is turned.

Hey, if worst comes to worst, I hear Eddy Curry is looking for a new driver…

Thanks for the feedback, guys. bchadwick gives some good advice on how to make yourself look more important or less dispensable. Anticipating the needs of your superiors is something that is important at any level of an organization, and if you can do that successfully, you’ll earn a lot of brownie points. TheAliMan – I type about 165 wpm which saves me a ton of time! Lord knows that without being able to type fast, there simply wouldn’t be enough hours in a day for me to fulfill my professional and social obligations while also posting on AnalystForum.

You could try this… http://vimeo.com/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1778399&server=vimeo.com&show_title=1&show_byline=1&show_portrait=0&color=&fullscreen=1