Possibly getting layed off, what to do

Ok, As some of you may already know, I work for a big 4 accountant in scandinavia. I have the usual 3 months probationary period, which ends at the end of this month. Basically, I am worried I am going to get layed off, I am not getting any work at the moment, although everyone else on the team seems very busy. So basically no work, nearing the end of probation, economy not looking good, wouldnt you fire me especially since on probation you only have to give 2 weeks salary?? I must admit there has been no talk of lay offs at the firm as yet, not that ive heard of anyway. Does anyone have any suggestions, I really dont want to lose the job, as I like the kind of work I should be doing and the little bit I have done, and also getting a job after would obviously be near impossible, especially since leaving scandinavia is not an option and getting a job her eis very difficult when you only speak english and dont have much experience.

Contact that guy I e-mailed you about, I think you’ll find what you’ll need to know in this article http://www.redaktionen.nu/mr_6.html use Google for translation (or your gf). What does your manager say about it all? Maybe you could agree now instead of in an agonizing three weeks time.

I have read that article, but I dont really see the relevance of it to this post, its about immigration laws in dk and se the article??

Sorry to hear about your situtation. Sounds like you should get your resume in order and begin to look around. In the mean time, I would try to get more work and become more involved with the team. Also, I don’t think it would hurt to approach your boss and see if you can get an inidcation of what your status will be. With a 2-week horizon, I think that is totaly reasonable. Try your hardest to stay on but also be prepared for the worst. Good luck.

Maybe I am worrying mroe then I should, as I havent heard anything about layoffs at all at our firm, so thats good. Also if you do get layed off, do you ever get a chance to discuss possibilities with the boss. As in, I really love this work and its what i want to do, could we sort out a reduced salary? going part time, things like that?

I believe you are correct in you last post. You are worrying too much here. Its normal to be on beach (a lingo used in my firm when someone is not having enought work) and in times like these. As per my understanding though accounting firms might not be having much work now and fingers are being raised at them (with increased frauds) here and there, they won’t risk to fire their employees in large % because they might need to scale back again in sometime (may be six months to a year). These jobs are not like some of the wall street jobs which might not return ever. If I were you, I would have utilized my time and would have come up with an interesting report, may be on an industry which your department is not covering much extensively, and sugget how they can increase diversification by looking at that industry as well, or, prepare some marketing material to attract new clients etc. This way you can increase your visibility at the same time utilizing your time effectively to increase your knowledge.

Not a bad idea gauravku, and thanks for the post. WOuld love to come up with some new marketing material, problem is, its a totally new area ive never worked in before that im in. So its very difficult to come up with something that might be totally wrong! Anyway we shall see. Im going to a colleagues house this weekend and the boss will be there so maybe a good chance to build relations, he is a good guy too acutally

By the way, to anyone layed off recently, I certainly feel for all you guys and gals. Certainly would be tough trying to get back to work in this environment, so I just wish everyone the best, and hopefully this economy starts to pick up mid year already

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Maybe I am worrying mroe then I should, as I > havent heard anything about layoffs at all at our > firm, so thats good. > > Also if you do get layed off, do you ever get a > chance to discuss possibilities with the boss. As > in, I really love this work and its what i want to > do, could we sort out a reduced salary? going part > time, things like that? You can always go back to Australia, so no need to be worried.

No going back, my girlfriend is here and needs to finish her studying as well. Plus I love it here !!!

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Plus I love it here !!! Even when the Russians disconnect gas supply?

THey use plent of wind power here, it’ll be ok!!! hehe

I don’t think you’ll need to worry. You would have felt by now if they’re about to let you go. I thought you were worried that you’d have to leave Denmark altogether if they let you go; the artcle simply points at a sneak way for people to hang on to the Copenhagen area, a sort of last resort to turn to if all else fails.

nope, i dont have to leave, as I have a long working visa, and its not restricted to a particular employer. Except I would have to leave mostly because its so damn expensive here and impossible to live without a job. Was it you MehdiOchre who emailed me about a financial planner in sweden?

Sorry to hear that things are that expensive, maybe your salary is too low??? About your problem, maybe this will help clarify some things? Assuming things are similar where you live (not necessarily so). http://csjobb.idg.se/karriar.nsf/All/2A5602B3796E552CC1257424003D74C1?OpenDocument&id=5

No my salary covers things and is very very good for me i believe. But living here without a salary is impossibnle unless you are rich!

If I were you, I would start sending my resume out ASAP.

Man, I could never live in Scandinavia without a job. I had a friend from McKinsey who was just there for the last couple months on an energy project; he was getting $50 a night for dinner allowances and said that could barely cover the tab. If you can’t afford it, come back to America where the cost of living (and the people) are cheap. Might not stay this way forever, but certainly is the way things are now.

maddane, My roommate used to work for Big 4. His department got closed and everyone was transferred to different departments. Then his new department got axed and all the jobs went to India. So, within 6 months of his employment he got layed off. He went to work for a boutique audit firm and first 2-3 months didn’t do a thing. He was worried if managers forgot about him. Well, what happened is that company was waiting to get all new hires on board, so they can start training together. Go to your boss, say that you feel that you don’t get much work, while others seem busy. Make yourself available, show some initiative. Good luck

OK – Trogdor mentions some good points, but let me shed some light on the contrary and why you really have to figure out what is the truth about YOUR situation. Let me give you an example where it’s better to lay low. A few months ago, I was totally tripping about how there would be hours at a time when I had no work to do. I figured that as a pre-MBA associate at a private equity firm, I would be working 80 hours a week from now till the start of business school (whenever that is). I couldn’t figure out why I was so underutilized. Was it because I was just terrible at my job? Did people forget I actually existed? Was it more convenient for people to do things themselves and not get me involved? I thought about all of these things. What actually happened was we saw an unprecedented turn in our economy for the worst; there just wasn’t that much work to be done because deal flow had slowed dramatically. And while it was true that there were certain projects that I was NOT involved in, some of the senior associates I was close with explained to me that this was just how the deal process worked, and that people are very keen about getting you involved only in the things that are essential to your job because they understand that everyone’s busy. I never made any mention about how much “free time” I had, but was able to find out that things were slower than I initially expected just because that’s the deal environment we live in these days. As such, it may actually not be the best to draw attention to yourself as someone who has nothing to do. Why? Because that will only further reinforce that you are doing nothing and are likely expendable. If I were you, I would check in with people that are closer to your rank to make sure that things are “par for the course.” If they say they are, you may not have to worry as much. But you want to be careful about asking around for work to do; it’s often better to lay low when there’s just not much work to go around. Is it possible that the work that your colleagues are getting are more suitable for people at their rank? Or are these folks your peers? Whatever the case may be, you might consider a similar diligence process as I did in order to figuring out what the situation was. Either my advice will be more applicable to your situation, or Trogdor’s will be – but I think we both have some good perspectives on this matter and you really need to scout out the dynamics in your office to find out what makes the most sense for you. FWIW, if they really wanted to get rid of you, I don’t know what you could do in the next few weeks to really move the needle on that.