I was planning to appear for Dec 2010. I have completed 2/3 of reading so far (Quant, FSA, FI, Alt Inv, Derivatives, CAPM). Unfortunately due to family situation, I won’t be able to take the exam in Dec 2010 so will sit for Level 1 in June 2011 now. I will start studying again in January 2011. That leaves me some free time between now and Oct (around 3 and 1/2 months of time). Can anyone suggest any type of short duration certification that I can achieve in these 4 months. Being so motivated for last 3 months while studying for L1, I don’t want to waste the next 4 months before I take two months off in Mid Nov-Dec.
CFA_2012 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That leaves me some free time between now and Oct > (around 3 and 1/2 months of time). > > Can anyone suggest any type of short duration > certification that I can achieve in these 4 > months. Being so motivated for last 3 months while > studying for L1, I don’t want to waste the next 4 > months before I take two months off in Mid > Nov-Dec. It sounds to me like driving fast and pressing hard on the gas pedal on the 5th gear, and then suddenly downshift to the 1st gear and pressing hard on the brake, with all the tire skid marks, smoke and noise… Where are you? What is your background? What is your interest? What kind of job/stuff are your working now? These factors determine the answers people will give you. Since you have done 2/3 of study of L1, and now still 4+ months to go, can you spare some of the off time to write exam at wherever you will be in December? You are not only wasting 10 months of time (4+ months of your already completed study + 6 months of waiting time to June exam), but also postponing L2 and L3 by at least 1 year, even if you pass L1 in June 2011. Do you really want to change you screen name to “CFA_2013_+_n_>=_1”, or keep it as is ?
I am IT professional working with one of the big financial institution for 4 years in New York. I am looking to move out of IT and into finance world that is why I am looking to achieve the CFA charter. I understand that I will be delaying the whole process by 1 year as I could have taken L2 in Jun 2011 but life is not always very fair and it surprises you every now and then. AF does not allow to change the screen name but I don’t want to get bogged down and want to explore while I can.
If you have your reasons to postpone, then of course, you have to stop your “study fast car” and brake hard. It is just hard to stop the study momentum if you already study that fast and far. If you want to switch to finance, I guess L1 exam may look good on your resume if you pass it, and pass it fast. It is like a “definite asset” nice to have. May be you can try FRM or CAIA? Or CFP (if you more like working with client investment planning), etc? Good luck in whatever you decide and wherever you want to move on to. (It is just a joke for changing screen name, and that just imply if you have decided to postpone)
I had looked at FRM and CAIA certifications but seems like they can not be done in 4 months time frame. I am looking at something which is short and will keep me in touch for CFA L1 in June2011. A friend suggested to take Series 65 license exam. Any opinions on that?
I don’t have anything to offer about additional qualifications, etc, but I am curious: What did it entail to postpone the test? Had you already signed up and paid? If you cancel, do you have to pay the full fee to take the test again later?
I had not signed up yet. I was planning to sign in the month of Aug. But I think you will have to pay the full fee to take the test again if you pay and don’t take the test.
Exam fee is not refundable after 2 business days from the day you paid, and not transferable between sittings. Full refund only within 2 business days before they ship the books to you. You forfeit the fee even if you change your mind, not ready to write, sick, or absent for any reason, etc. You pay the exam fee again when register next time. For L1, you can withdraw from the current exam before deadline and pay a new fee and register for the next if paperwork is processed at same time. Moneywise, it is the same you have to pay again whether you withdraw or simply absent on exam day. But you won’t have an absent / fail record if exam is withdrawn and no need to wait until after the result day to register for the next, which by that time you would miss the first early bird discount deadline. For L2 and L3, you cannot withdraw, and can only simply absent from exam and wait after the result day to register and pay again.