PowerPoint Resumes?

Just curious, any thoughts from experienced people or managers on AF? I know the PPT may not be acceptable when submitting it through a company’s website (since Taleo only accepts word doc). What about using it for smaller companies that direct candidates to send their resumes to an email?

I have never heard of a PPT resume. Most of us are in finance, not the media/art industry (requiring presentation of graphics). I would advise against it.

i just threw up in my mouth. i bet that guy with that fancy business card that wouldnt fit in a rolodex has one of these.

you should take a picture of it and put it on your PPT resume - sort of a modern spin of your interpretation of the current condition of the markets and economy

Make sure you embed a video like Aleski Vayner - I’m sure they won’t mind several hundred megabytes in their inbox.

how about a Youtube resume? you make a video of all your accomplishments and send it to the MD of that new hedge fund you wanna join.

I think it’s a great idea - then you can tell them you’d be happy to come to their office to actually present your background using your PPT resume for slides. They’ll be happy to have you come in, partly to see your presentation, but more to take your picture and send it to all their buddies as a picture of the “most misguided DB to ever walk through the doors.”

Why not just buy a 30-second ad on the American Idol finale and broadcast your background to the entire world?

why pay for the ad? why not just lead the cops on a car chase and right when they are about to arrest you, shout your resume into the camera.

Hahaha, guys, take it easy! I just had a creative idea and was curious to know what some of you thought. You have to admit, while the financial sector is shrinking, creative ways to get an employer’s attention is certainly rising . During my interviews, even for analyst positions, employers are stressing that communications and presentations are extremely important, (I’ve even been asked to bring samples) If you find yourself looking for work, and think your excel skills and knowledge of the market are good enough to get a job or just being a CFA is the doorway to 200k salary—You are misguided! Period. Demonstrating creative thinking is not a bad trait to have! That being said, I agree that the PPT resume is a bad idea in this culture. Don’t eat my lunch!

try Excel also

actuaryalfred Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > try Excel also This is helpful for graphing your projected career path, tracking earnings, and even a relative value comparison against sample candidates. You should actually do this and then send the powerpoint, which succintly summarizes your work in excel.

We’re just having fun with you. The problem is that the PPT resume is nonstandard AND takes too much effort to go through. A resume should communicate enough about you so that after looking at it for 5-7 seconds, the reader has a pretty good idea of whether or not they want to talk to you.

if you wanna look old school do it in Lotus 123

Why don’t you create a program in C++ that takes over their entire computer network and flashes your resume continuously over an image of Stewie Griffin when they click on it.

meatcards.com all the way

call me old school, but I prefer to write my name and number on a rock and throw it through the perspective company’s window

I did do a PPT once for a second round interview for an investment mgmt position (and I got the job). My background was nontraditional in some respects so I wanted to highlight some projects I had done to show I had all the right experience. Agree though that it is way too much for the screening stage.

I did do a PPT once for a second round interview for an investment mgmt position (and I got the job). My background was nontraditional in some respects so I wanted to highlight some projects I had done to show I had all the right experience. Agree though that it is way too much for the screening stage.

Nice JD!