Practice Exams

Trying to get a grip on all the available practice exams out there for L2. $Included - CFA Mock Exam- Closest you can get to the real thing (save for last) - CFA Book1 Exam 1-3 - Good to find your weak spots, don’t bother with book 2, agree? $149 - BSAS - Mock Exam - Anyone have any thoughts on this - worth it? anything else I am missing?

fxguy1234 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFA Book1 Exam 1-3 - Good to find your weak spots, > don’t bother with book 2, agree? You mean Schweser Book1 Exam 1-3 right?

yea

I am working on Exam 1 of Book 7 right now. It’s not so bad. (At least compaed to L1 last year)

any other thoughts on book 2 (i.e book 7)

Yeah Exam 1 was pretty straightforward. I just killed the AM section (93%) so I’m feeling pretty good about life today :slight_smile:

nirjriana - what has been your study tact so far?

Started my first pass of Schweser on Dec 1st. Followed up with a second pass, supplemented with CFAI end of chapter problems. I’ve put in around 190 hours so far, looking to get up to around 270 by test day.

Is there any agreement that Schweser practice exams are better than stalla? I know there is a debate about the study notes but I have never seen anything regarding the practice exams. I failed L2 last year using Schweser so switched to Stalla this year and have found the notes much better and feel more confident about the material (maybe b/c this is my second time through). Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on this b/c I don’t really want to spend the extram money on Schweser practice exams if I don’t have to.

I think it is difficult to gauge which set of study notes is better (Schweser vs Stalla). The reason is that a lot of people saying “X is better”, they failed at least once with study notes Y and so decided to switch to study notes X. Then when they see their performance improves, they would naturally attribute the improvement to the switching of study notes, not because they have done more iteration and gained more experience on the study materials. For practice exams, Schweser book 7 is quite well known to be excessive. So I would be more selective on what to work on in book 7. Book 6 seems to be closer to the real exam, so I probably would stick with that. I haven’t tried CFAI sample / mock exams last year, but I would definitely try them this year.

Well I got both. I did the first Stalla practice exam, and the first part of the first schweser exam, and in my opinion the schweser was much harder, which in my opinion is a good thing.

nirjaina, you must be a very fast reader to go through the notes twice, do EOC questions from CFA text, and only have 190 hours in. :slight_smile:

I was going to say…

It took me 190 hrs to solve a swaption and on my 2nd round of practice with receiver swaption this time, it took me 190 more hours. Next in the list is Caps and Floors…

I would recommend at least try to go throught book 2, book 2 exams expose you to some material NOT covered by text book. the thing I can think of on top of my head is the holding and flow effects for foreign translation, seems to me that, every exam tests on different subject, even for book 2. they work out perfectly for me in terms of finding weak spots.

holding and flow effects for foreign translation - is a last year’s material. We don’t have it this year.

^ it’s a relieve , however it does make CTA calculation a hell lot easier,give it a shot on the schwesser note examples

Any thoughts on BSAS practice exams? How many sessions (AM/PM) do we get for $149?

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nirjaina, you must be a very fast reader to go > through the notes twice, do EOC questions from CFA > text, and only have 190 hours in. :slight_smile: I do read and remember things quickly. However, already knowing most of Equity/Corp Fi really helped as I only spent a total of 10-15 hours on those 2 topics.