Practice questions

Hi all, After reading the study sessions, what practice questions are you guys doing? I have got Schweser notes, so I am wondering what should be the appropriate line of action for exam like questions. Best S

i’m doin only schweser for now; the idea being to get an understanding and moving on…saving CFAI questions for later.

i’m doing cfai questions at the end of each reading and using qbank sets to keep my cumulative knowledge fresh

supersharpshooter, cfai questions at the end of each reading- are they like real exam questions? Sam question for Qbank? DO you go thru ‘browse the questions’ thru LOS or something else? Thanks S

uhh i couldn’t tell you bro this is my first time taking the exam i go to “Create test” and create a short test covering all the readings i’ve done so far

supersharp,schweser n Qbank u think is sufficient?.. r u looking through the institute books? i mean the huge modules that we get? coz L1 i dint… but L2 is a whole different game right? guys wot r u gona do? follow the L1 strategy?

yeah i was going to read the CFAI curriculum like i did in level 1 but now i am finding schweser notes is much better for some readings - intercorporate investments for example so i might skip CFAI notes for some readings entirely my strategy is to basically read all the CFAI notes and reinforce with schweser notes, while at the same time doing problems. then when i finished all the reading do as many practice problems and sample exams as possible and patch any holes in the readings that i might have left.

supersharpshooter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m doing cfai questions at the end of each > reading and using qbank sets to keep my cumulative > knowledge fresh Yeah me too. Solar Power - In Reading 12 they start to have 3-choice exam looking questions asked after vignettes. I don’t have Passmaster yet, but did the Q’s on there after the readings on L1 and plan to do the same on L2.

I actually like the CFAI readings better than the Schweser/Stalla readings and retain much more as I usally need to look at the ‘why’ behind the LOS’s to retain, whereas Schweser/Stalla a lot of times only tells you ‘what’ you need to know, leaving out the ‘why’ at times . . .

philip.platt Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I actually like the CFAI readings better than the > Schweser/Stalla readings and retain much more as I > usally need to look at the ‘why’ behind the LOS’s > to retain, whereas Schweser/Stalla a lot of times > only tells you ‘what’ you need to know, leaving > out the ‘why’ at times . . . Yeah that’s very true. With Schweser you have to remember/cram what without knowing why. I am just reading Schweser notes but doing CFAI questions as well not touched Qbank yet. Super, intercorporate investments, pensions I found them really tough. So the rule of the game is same- one needs to score more than 70% for guaranteed pass?

the thing that i like about schweser is that they put the LOS right there and then give you the text to answer it. let’s you really focus on the wording of the LOS while reading, be it “calculate” or “describe” or whatever. SSS, i think you are attacking this the right way. i didn’t do all that many CFAI end of chapter questions last year and i think it hurt me. some of their q’s are longer than real test q’s (the non-multiple choice ones), but they really reinforce the material. the multiple choice ones are taken from old exams mostly, so yes, they’re very test-like. FSA schweser does a good job on, I think equity as well. PM, ethics, and alts, you might want to use the CFAI books as your primary. solar- as for 70 as a lock- now with only 3 answer choices, you’d have to figure scores do go up a little bit, but i’d think that over 70 still would be a pass, yep. pensions are hard, prob the hardest of the FSA stuff- you’re doing fine. i am going to put in a few hours now. in the middle of corp finance which is seemingly easy but for the test last year i found to be surprisingly trickier than i had expected. SS8 has so many LOS’s… ahhhhhhh! Not hard stuff, but so many- i’m burning through notecards right now like it’s my job. come jan 1 i’m going to start throwing some q-bank into the mix. good times. i’m getting pretty ready to kiss my social life goodbye and get ready to crush this thing.

Thanks bannisja, Are the questions at the end of CFAI are like the real exam questions? Or could you illuminate me how does the real exam question look like? Thanks S

the item sets questions at the end of CFA chapters I think for the most part are taken from previous exams. last year’s books actually said “2005 exam questions” or something like that next to many of them- my guess is they didn’t do that this year since they eliminate 1 answer choice (so it’s not exactly as it was on the exam), but a lot are the same q’s. they’re pretty realistic in terms of the lengths of the info given- you’re usually given anywhere from maybe a paragraph to maybe 1-2 pgs of info/charts/statements, and then you get 6 questions about it. the q’s are all supposed to be in one area… so you get 6 quant in a row for example, but the actual order of the test is not the same- you don’t like L1 start with ethics then do quant, etc. you don’t know whether you’ll get 6 q’s on quant or 12… you get a range. so it makes it that much tougher when you have to study hundreds of pages of oh, say, PM for perhaps only 6 little questions on some random little topic that takes up 2 pages of the text. that’s one big difference- it’s kind of hit or miss whether you get what you know best. only real remedy is to know not just the huge stuff, but the little stuff also. sadly, that means a ton of studying. there’s really no other way around it that i can think of. trying to game this level seems like it’d be a LOT harder to do than L1 in terms of there you could mayyyybe study hard FSA, ethics, and equity and be pretty close to a pass if you really knew those cold. so back to original study plan- i think doing the CFAI questions for me this time around has been good just to make sure you’re used to their wording and not schweser wording only, and they i think do tend to illuminate the pretty important areas that are pretty easily tested. i’d try if you have time even if you’re only reading schweser to do those CFAI end of chapter questions. it might take you a few extra hours before you move onto the next topic, but IMO it’s time well spent. time to get cracking for a few hours before a fun weekend of football.