Preparation for L2 while studying for L1 (any suggestion welcome)

Greetings! I am still a L1 CFA candidate, but I really like to know which areas of L1 and L2 curricula have the highest correlation so I could take a long shot in preparing for L2 while studying for L1. Also what would you suggest as a strategy for preparing for L1 while taking into consideration 2008 L2? I do apologize if this question has been answered already (please advise on the relevant thread). Thank you in advance for every suggestion. Good luck studying.

if you had some extra time while preparing for L1 and you wanted to devote it for studying for L2 (hypothetically) what would you do?

The easy way would be to look at the weighting for L2, the two biggest being FSA, and Equity Valuation. Things like business combinations, foreign currency translation, and FCFF & FCFE come up A LOT on the test… That being said, I think you probably have enough on your plate with Level 1

thank you, drs. i am definitely working on FSA concepts. i have not started Equity Valuation yet though…

also for example is leasing or inventory analysis (being part of FSA) big thing on L2?

Siberian_Golfer Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Greetings! > > I am still a L1 CFA candidate, but I really like > to know which areas of L1 and L2 curricula have > the highest correlation so I could take a long > shot in preparing for L2 while studying for L1. Are you really that SAD?

memalos, i guess i am not quite getting your question

memalos, my russian ADR buddy, have you seen VIP lately???

memalos, how is Gazprom tradingh, btw?

Well OGZD had good results, even adjusting for the one-off due to the deconsolidation of the Gazfund, but again opex I felt was a bit of a disappointment. And Sibneft (aka Gazpromneft, the oil arm of Gazprom did very good yesterday). I think that the name of the game for the Russian market until the end of the year will be new money coming in to chase the usual stocks, we have BTW liked for ages. Drs, my astute buddy pal makes a good point with telcos, but I like the metals+mining and in particular Mechel (MTL), has run a lot though, but they acquired two coal plants recently and their business is en fuego, to quote my favourite Jim Cramer. As for the Siberian fella, man try to relax and take one step at a time. You can hardly plan your time for one level, let alone for two. Dont forget the rubric changes each year.

My advice is just to know your L1 material really well. Those are the building blocks. FSA is really important. But so is TVM calculations. Actually I found for L2, most things end with a discounting somehow. So you better know the ins & outs of that very well so you don’t make “silly” mistakes in L2.

the pass rate for L1 will be around 40%. Nearly everyone assumes that they will pass each test on the first try and never fail any of the exams. My advise to you is to focus solely on the L1 material. I have known many people who studied hard for the exam and failed it. You can’t take L2 until you pass L1.

if u have spare time after revising L1 material… spend some time with friends and family. Preparing for L2 so early is a) very sad b) condusive to burnout c) inefficient as you will probably forget alot of it d) overly presumptuous that you will pass L1 e) all of the above Good luck… focus solely on L1… and the odds of you acing the exam are much higher.

Agree with wilier. Take it one test at a time. There is no point in filling your brain with information that you don’t need right now. You could end up confusing yourself on the test.

Just Pass L1 first. Simple. Count 1, then 2…

just read the “optional” sections in the LI books. Hate to burst your bubble, but for LII, it’s a lot of the same readings only with less “optional” sections.

Stupid idea - doesn’t make sense. Don’t overthink it - and just pace yourself. Study for each level sequentially - with your strategy you’re setting yourself up for either serious disappointment (ie, you fail L1) or major burnout.

Thank you all for letting me realize that I should focus solely on passing L1, cuz it is the best (and only way) to sit and succeed in L2.