preparation time for level 1 - 5 months enough?

I registered with CFA on last Friday, to sit for June level 1 exam. Is it too late to start working on it in Feb? in total 5 months? (and how long it normally takes of receiving the textbook from cfa?) Thanks for your help!!

CFA institute recommends 250 hours. Obviously, give yourself more or less time depending on how knowledgeable you are with the material. You do that math.

it’s enough.you’ll have to ajust the hours you put in, depending on how confortable you are with the material

I’ll let you know in about 3 days

Thank you guys!!! I am feeling less worried now. one more question, I had solid academic background in finance, do i still need extra learning tools & materials from Schweser?

One product I would highly recommend is the QBank from Schweser…the repetition really helps and it will be a great diagnostic (strengths/weaknesses) as you progress through the curriculum. The value of the other tools really depend on how you learn and how much time you have. The CFAI books have all the info…its just whether you can take the time to get through them all.

Cpapeng, I think that if you plan your time good, there will be no problem. I also plan to read CFAI books only (and maybe Q-bank).

Keep in mind that the June exam is on June 7, so in fact you have 4 full months of study, not 5.

hehe, good point map1!

map1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Keep in mind that the June exam is on June 7, so > in fact you have 4 full months of study, not 5. O no!! 4 months only~:( i need to ring CFA find out how long is takes for the CFAI books delivered to Australia. or anyone knows?

Thank you Squirrel24!!

cpapeng Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > map1 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Keep in mind that the June exam is on June 7, > so > > in fact you have 4 full months of study, not 5. > > > O no!! 4 months only~:( i need to ring CFA find > out how long is takes for the CFAI books delivered > to Australia. > > or anyone knows? less then a week.

That really depends on the shipping method you select. Sorry for the bad news, but you know you can do it if you really put your time into it! Just make sure, in your planning, that you are set to finish at least three weeks before the actual exam, take exam samples, exercise as much as you can on mock exams, and go back to the books/notes/flashcards/formulas/concepts for a solid review of the materials. Last, enjoy it, it is not about the destination, it is all about the journey:) You’ll have more fun!

I owe you an answer (and I’m sure many on the board can chime in too). I registered for CFA1 in late August which gave me around 3.5 months and passed. It is absolutely doable but don’t dick around too much longer! My 2cents: - Work backwards from the test date when you make your schedule but make sure to leave yourself at least 3 weeks to take practice tests and re-read problem areas. - I used QBank LOS quizs after most evenings throughout the period to reinforce my reading and took my first full test when I had read everything once (about a month left). - Then you can hit the QBank (keep expanding up from the LOS quizes - study session, whole book then whole curriculum) and Schweser/CFA tests hard in unision with curriculum review in between. - Try to get at least a couple of days off before the test to take one or two last tests (CFAI tests are great because they mimick the real one pretty well) and take Friday off to hang with family/friends/xbox. Good luck…you can do it

^ I did the same thing as squirrel. I got the material on August 17th (why I remember, don’t as me) and left about 3-4 weeks in advance to take practice exams, etc. I never purchased the Qbank but I think it would be a tremendous advantage for you. I ended up taking 5 CFAI exams and about 6 schweser 240question practice exams before I felt ready (Book 6 and additional book - the extra book wasn’t very helpful)…I think the qbank would have helped me bypass a little of this. Either way, I just passed so starting late is definitely doable.

Books took 13 days from order to come to me they left from GA and came to UT in that amount of time. Just a heads up I am not impressed with shipping department. It was 3 business days before it even was shipped.

Squirrel24 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I owe you an answer (and I’m sure many on the > board can chime in too). I registered for CFA1 in > late August which gave me around 3.5 months and > passed. It is absolutely doable but don’t dick > around too much longer! My 2cents: > > - Work backwards from the test date when you make > your schedule but make sure to leave yourself at > least 3 weeks to take practice tests and re-read > problem areas. > - I used QBank LOS quizs after most evenings > throughout the period to reinforce my reading and > took my first full test when I had read everything > once (about a month left). > - Then you can hit the QBank (keep expanding up > from the LOS quizes - study session, whole book > then whole curriculum) and Schweser/CFA tests hard > in unision with curriculum review in between. > - Try to get at least a couple of days off before > the test to take one or two last tests (CFAI tests > are great because they mimick the real one pretty > well) and take Friday off to hang with > family/friends/xbox. > > Good luck…you can do it THANK YOU !!

jalmy8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ I did the same thing as squirrel. I got the > material on August 17th (why I remember, don’t as > me) and left about 3-4 weeks in advance to take > practice exams, etc. > > I never purchased the Qbank but I think it would > be a tremendous advantage for you. I ended up > taking 5 CFAI exams and about 6 schweser > 240question practice exams before I felt ready > (Book 6 and additional book - the extra book > wasn’t very helpful)…I think the qbank would have > helped me bypass a little of this. Either way, I > just passed so starting late is definitely doable. MANY THANKS!!