Prerequisite reading?

Looking for any recommended prerequisite or “fundamentals” type books that are good to read pre-studying. I’ll get my box of goods from Stalla today and before digging in I’d like to brush up on basics of quant, econ, and thats about it. Thanks for any recommendations.

Anyone?? I thought there was at least a CFAI recommended econ pre-read… ANYONE? Buehler?

It really depends on your backgroung man. You sound like you already know your quant and econ basics… I think you’re ready to dive straight into the real stuff.

Fair enough! I’ve failed L1, then failed it again, by not putting in much of an effort. I don’t want to fail it again :slight_smile:

So why didn’t you study ?

Chicagoist - I would stick with the CFA material and a CFA approved prep provider. By studying from an outside source, you risk interpreting a concept or calculation differently than the CFA materials intended and getting a question wrong on the exam. If you get stuck on something, this forum is a great place to ask questions. I hope this helps. Happy New Year!

Well Nadja I didn’t study because I lack discipline and was too busy at work to muster up the willpower or energy to do it.

Chicagoist - this time you will pass. My suggestion is to study from Schweser, watch their videos and use all the problem solving sources (use CFAI books for Ethics), All the best.

Thanks!

You do not need any fundamental. I have an engineering background and I never felt like I needed some pre-requisite course, etc. Let’s do it one step at a time. (1) Start with Scheweser books, they are concise and make sense as well. (2) To keep your interest and spirit high work through the Q Bank every day. I used to do it at the end of the day when I was tired and broken. I did about 50 problems a day. (3) Aim to cover the material 2 - 3 times as you would forget a lot. (4) FSA is the assasin. There is a fair amount of question from this section and they are not as straight forward either. Too many if’s and conditions. The damm book is pretty thick as well. (5) You need 300 hours for the exam. Create a log of time spent and see if you are on target. If you will use the time in an honest way your log will tell you how closer you are to success albeit 300 hours. (6) Many people promote CFAI books but I do not see any beauty in them other than the glossy paper.

Just keep taking it without studying. You’re helping the curve.

HELL no.