printing business card...

Hey all, I just got an offer from an investment bank as a quant analyst (in the IT department)… well, i am a long time IT guy! Should i print my degree in the business card? I had completed a mster’s degree in engineering (MEng) but i don’t want to sound dumb by putting on something that is not irrelvenet to the industry, or am i not? thx.

I think the classy thing to do is not to put anything. Personal preference.

The only degrees that go on business cards are doctorates, IMHO.

I agree with the fellow posters. A degree that is not MD, JD, PHD should be excluded. As for design, Patrick Bateman would tell you to go for Bone with Silian Rail. But don’t be jealous if someone shows you up with Eggshell and Romalian type.

Don’t worry about the degree. Put a photo of yourself on there (as big as possible) with a twinkle in your eye. The twinkle sells…

No, you shouldn’t unless you work for a university or similar.

make sure it has a water mark on it

Depending upon where you are. If US, no. But (almost) everybody put degrees in Canada. (They even put B Sci./BA/B Comm.!!) Just different business practice, I guess.

If you live in canada, yes.

My employer here in Canada actually encourages employees to indicate degrees in emails, business cards, faxes etc. Proud B.Comm

I imagine that’s because there are so few people up in Canada that even know what school is. Maybe some sort of education awareness campaign might get the country back on track before they start taxing Royalty Trusts in 2010.

So you guys wouldnt even put CFA on your buss card? I don’t believe that for a second.

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I imagine that’s because there are so few people > up in Canada that even know what school is. Maybe > some sort of education awareness campaign might > get the country back on track before they start > taxing Royalty Trusts in 2010. lol

I’ve seen engineering and other master’s level degrees on lots of business cards in emerging market countries, where that extra degree of education is often more highly valued than here in the US, because of the lower average level of educational attainment (Brazilian masters degrees are actually more like Junior Ph.D.s than they are like US Masters’ degrees in terms of the intensity of the thesis process, although I think that is changing these days). In Europe, I believe that masters’ degrees are on cards now and then if they are in a field relevant to the industry you’re working in. Germans are especially proud of their degrees, and a woman who marries a professor with Ph.D. is also called “Frau Professor Doctor [Husband’s Name]” just by association (not sure how the reverse would go, but it would be interesting). In the US, master’s degrees are usually left off of cards unless you are an academic on route to a Ph.D… The only exception I can think of that doesn’t strike many people as a little corny is if you have an LL.M. (which is a Master of Laws). JD is technically a Doctor of Jurisprudence, and at graduations, the JD folks actually wear academic gowns that, heraldically speaking, are doctoral gowns and not master’s level gowns, but someone told me that there is a professional standard that JDs are not supposed to refer to themselves as Dr. so-and-so, owing to the fact that a JD is usually a 2-year master’s level program in the US, while Ph.D. and M.D. programs are considerably longer. However, at graduations, JDs look like all the other Doctor types, except with purple colored hoods (that signify law). Remember though, that none of the above mean that regular professional certifications (CPA, CFA, etc.) wouldn’t make sense on business cards.

bchadwick Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In Europe, I believe that masters’ degrees are on > cards now and then if they are in a field relevant > to the industry you’re working in. … a woman who > marries a professor with Ph.D. is also called > "Frau Professor Doctor " just by association … No offense, but I’d say that it varies a lot between different countries and I’d jump to the conclusion that you haven’t really looked into this at all. I could put both MSBA & MSHSA on my business card but the thought of doing so is ridiculous. The PhD-thing might be significative for the German-speaking countries, at least if one is to believe the article “Dr. Dr. Dr. Dr., May I Call You Freddie?” by Diana Burgwyn (which is actually quite funny) but where I am this doesn’t seem to apply at all; such practices were eradicated in the 1960’s and people immediately call each other by their first name regardless of their standing in society*. I might consider putting CFA on my business card though, once/if I’ll ever earn it. *) Edited: I forgot - this doesn’t apply to the royal family, of course. They’re the exception.

that says a lot about the CFA program… if you have it you put it on your card. Whereas mba, mfe, etc. etc. never make it to the card in non-3rd world, semi-intelligent countries.

People tend to put titles directly related to their job function. Academic titles aren’t shown. It might also differ depending on what language is used on the card. I met a Greek who had three rows of various titles and former titles on his card, they were all listed in small print below his name.

Well I plan on putting CFA and MAF on my card when i achieve them :slight_smile:

of course you put CFA on your business card!! and no, i wouldn’t put a degree or masters on.

I wouldn’t either. Totally irrelevant which makes it a bit sad.