Priority for First Job - Brand or Work Profile?

I’m Confused. I’m in Second year of MBA and want to work for an year before applying for MFE (Fin Engg) in a top 10 university. In view of my future goals, what would be better - to look for ‘content’ in a 5 year old compant that not many know or to choose a better Brand and forget the work that I might be doing( which would be from Finance domain although) Basically - which should I give priority to in my first job - Brand name or work?

May I inquire what MBA program you are in? I say go with the younger company and forget about an additional degree, but without knowing more about your profile it’s impossible to say.

I also wonder why are you doing a MBA right now while you want to apply to a MFE later on. If you really want to get a job doing what MFE’s do, your MBA will be hard to prove worthwhile. Anyway, I would go for the “Brand name” company, as typical Masters of Science programs don’t really care about your previous work experience, thus the “Brand name” company will be reap its benefits on your resume in the long run.

Hey thanks Danteshek & Alayle! I’m pursuing my MBA with Finance major & trade minor from a Delhi university. though it’s well known(amongst top 10 national programs) in India, I seriously doubt if anyone outside the country has heard about it. I’m an Electrical Engineer… was good at organising things in college so went for an MBA without any work experience, however recently i’ve discovered that my true interest lies in Quantitative modelling or other quant heavy jobs. Such jobs are rare in India after an MBA and so i wish to pursue an MFE from a good US univ after about an year or so. So the question still remains, Company brand name or work content ?

bhaiyyu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m an Electrical Engineer… was good at > organising things in college so went for an MBA > without any work experience, > So the question still remains, Company brand name > or work content ? Yeah, but apparently you were not good at reading comprehension. Question has been answered twice in the two posts above.

I think it depends what you want to do in the long term. You said you plan on going back for Fin Engineering after working for a while…if I were you, I’d look to get experience in something close to Fin Eng (small or large brand name firm) to make your next level of education more useful and a better learning experience over all. To me there’s nothing better than taking a class and the prof is touching on topics that you’ve dealt with in the past, even if it were briefly, and it all starts to “click.” If you’re unsure about your ideal career path then I say go for the brand name (it will help your resume if you decide to leave Fin Eng). Brand names are great and I love them but if you’re 100% sure what you want to do and you can’t get relevant experience at a brand name firm, I say go for the no-name shop.