Problem Retaining...

I find myself knowing that I have read the damn topic when I see it on a question but couldn’t remember how to do it for the life of me…basically not retaining the details that great…is anyone else having this issue? How are you handling it?

I should say I recognize the topic and could tell you where in the book it is, but can not remember how to do it…really wierd…

I would say that almost 100% of those studying for this exam are going through similar issues to some degree.

I know I am. I just keep looking at the material.

Ha! Retention, such a familiar concept … This fits three stage DDM model! As long as that retention rate is > 0… you will have the sustainable growth rate g… and you will have retained knowledge regardless if you will pass 3 levels. The key to pass CFA exams: R_YOU > R_CFAI; then you will have that positive spread to succeed!

mwvt9 are you still working questions or revising the material?

wonder2008 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9 are you still working questions or revising > the material? I am reviewing the material. I take some questions as I go along. I will try to get to more questions in the last week and a half.

Every day something breaks through. I find I am not retaining much, but I know that of the 100+ concepts I come across each day, 1 is sneaking in to my long-term memory. I’ll have to settle for that and hope that enough sneak in by exam day to pass.

N. Van: Keep doing practice problems. And then again. Find some more questions on the subject. Do another one. I hope this works for me. At this point in the game, I need to hammer some of this stuff home, and it is the only way I know how. Time series is only about 30 pages in Schweser, but I am clueless. So I keep doing more practice problems. I hope it works.

Review, review, review… I have notecards, the Schweser Quicksheet, and I try to skim over the topics whenever I can. I know how you feel though, there’s just a ton of material. Keep doing as many problems as you can though.

Also, try reciting some of the material OUT LOUD using the LOS or the headers in the book. This method is supposed to help you retain a lot more for a longer period of time.

Right now I am reviewing using secret sauce and then doing the Q bank item set exams at the end of each SS. Then once I am done all those its off to practice exams (hopefully by next Monday)… Can anyone tell me if the Qbank Item set exams at the end of each SS are on the easy, medium, or hard side of things compared to practice exams? Thanks

Why do we feel like forgetting? B’cause we read every questions/threads posted on this analyst forum unless you are mastered in everything A-Z . If you used CFA books and read questions from Schwser, you may feel like you have forgotten topics because they have different question styles. I used only CFA books questions for practising for level 1 and I found CFA exam did not ask anything outside that question range. Moreover, think this way, we have a cushion of 18 out of 60 questions to loose rather than thinking I have to score 70%.

N.VanCandidate Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Right now I am reviewing using secret sauce and > then doing the Q bank item set exams at the end of > each SS. > Then once I am done all those its off to practice > exams (hopefully by next Monday)… > > Can anyone tell me if the Qbank Item set exams at > the end of each SS are on the easy, medium, or > hard side of things compared to practice exams? > > Thanks i found these pretty challenging at times, somewhat representative but not perfectly matching to CFAI’s methods. let’s see what happens…

yeah i cant remember crap i just read. Stress will cloud your mind.

O. Nathan Ronana, who is a pimp, said they would never put a 3 stage DDM on it - two is the max.

My retention rate b is not too bad, it’s the growth factor of the stuff in my head that I’m worried about.

I’ve been studying Mandarin for quite a few years now and one of the best teachers I had told me you have to see something 7 times before it’s committed to long term memory. I don’t think there was any science behind the number 7, but I try to adapt this whenever I’m learning large amounts of new information. One thing I’ve started doing is making a mark on the first page of a new section, and whenver I review a section (sauce, flipping through notes, etc.) I’ll put a mark on it. On sections where I’ve only read through it once or twice, or even three times, I almost always forget formulas and finite details, but by the fourth or fifth time, i’m doing pretty good. (this is also to the larger point of why flash cards are so effective). I find that short sprints through a part of the material gives you good exposure to the major points. Also consider power sessions of a couple of hours, where you rip through your formula sheets, notes, or whatever and try to get through the ciriculum in that time. One other thing I try to be aware of is the fact that with only a week left, I am putting the material in my head, not on paper. I have a tendency to make notes all the time, but at this point it’s not appropriate. This is sort of an abstract thought, but I liken this to Jay-Z’s approach to songwriting, where you etch the lines into your head rather than writing them down. It goes a long way. I would say 15 minutes of doing this is worth an hour of just reading.

take2 there s huge science behind number 7, called marketing research. if you ever took marketing research class. that’s like the turnarount point of diminishing return for human perception.