Problems With Recommending Books

So, what’s your side hustle?

Selling snake oil schemes… And insider information… And guaranteeing superior investment returns because of his participation in the cfa program… And then not delivering them…

:wink:

With such a razor sharp wit you should try comedy club open mic nights.

DoW, those books all seem pretty down the fairway. Putting them in order may help people to work through them, like a syllabus (Taleb before Mandelbrot, for example).

Did you just use a buzz word towards dow? Lol Yeah these books aren’t nearly as exotic as I expected. It’s the readers fault, not yours

I guess if I were getting paid to do that, I could. As it turns out, I jotted them down as they came to my head. Again, there’s a reason why I haven’t recommended many books lately; too many people rushing to judgments and eager to categorize you based on an idea of a book they have, but haven’t actually read the book in whole or in part.

As for the “down the fairway…”, as I said, these are leisurely reads I think are geared to the AF audience. I would not be making the same recommendations on Wilmott, although I’ve read them all.

Have you read them all? Or do you just have an idea that they don’t contain “exotic” ideas based on some others around you that have reported they read one or two of these books?

so i just read the summary from the everything store. its basically about amazon and jeff bezos. some gems

your margin is my opportunity: bezos has a team dedicated to finding high margin businesses and then setting up shop to compete and drive their margins down and prep them for acquisition. for example: there was an online store called zappos that sold bags, apparel, and other useless crap. it was a high margin business. bezos created endless which basically competed with zappos but offered cheaper prices, free shipping, and overnight shipping to basically drive zappos down. zappos did begin to slow down, and once they did bezos acquired them for $900m, which is crazy cuz at the time their revenue was $1.1b. he did the same shit with quidzi, a diaper co. and if you read the news, he is doing it to other product categories.

we are a tech focused company that just happens to sell retail. : this guy really doesnt care about retail. he is using tech profits aws to essentially subsidize his retail conquests to kill of competitors. it sounds like this is a monopoly in the making. in any case, in recent news(this isnt from the book->) , wmt has decided to fuck with amazon saying if u do business with amazon’s tech side, you aint doing business with us. so wmt is hitting hard where it matters.

we focus on customers first: amazon is essentially golden cuz he focuses on the customer experience via reviews, cheaper prices, free shipping, and excellent return policies. by doing this he has shitty margins, but he is also destroying competition, gaining market share, then destroying his supplier via further price concessions. the main point he doesnt like marketing, he wants low prices to do the marketing. he even knowingly sold harry potter books at a lost to attract peepz. IMO, if this guy ever raises prices on customers, the co needs to be broken up and liable for monopoly charges.

some fun facts:

he worked at a DE Shaw at 29 (das a quant shop), and he never really had a father (seperated at 3). he is relentless, ruthless, uncompassionate, and he makes sure this trickles down the culture. he has a need to prove himself by being successful.

For someone with the pretension of being such an authority on books, you severely lack reading comprehension.

I thought the intent of my post was pretty clear : I don’t think that I’ll make serious money with this hobby, ever.

I read a lot, but not in order to start a “second career” at some point, which I believe was the topic.

I am already developing this “second career” in question, first as a hobby. It’s really just a different approach and as I specified, I would put my money on you guys instead of me.

Not sure why you are getting so agitated.

I import wine.

I know I know, sh1t margins and anyone and his cousin can do it. But it’s fun.

Speaking of reading comprehension, the thread was not about that topic at all. You are conflating it with some earlier comments from another poster.

I’ve rread probably 65% of what you listed. I own an additional 15% or so that are in the backlog.

I’ve rread probably 65% of what you listed. I own an additional 15% or so that are in the backlog.

Fiction for the win. I read enough non-fiction at work in general (although I will read some outside of work).

Fiction is better for the mind/soul.

^ +1

Although I do have respect for you guys that can get through books related to our industry.

Agreed. Although you can combine history and novels. Check out Max Gallo. He makes biographies that read like novels.

Interesting. How do you resell?

I had an idea of flipping art – but I’m still exploring whether this would actually be feasible.

I previously had a side-hustle of betting NBA player props (I built a model to forecast player performance for each game). I made good money ($25k) on this two seasons ago… but this last season I lost $10k – and due to some changed marketplace dynamics I felt like I no longer had an edge so I pulled the plug.

I don’t quite understand your sentiment. Unless I hated my job, I’d always want to learn as much about it as possible. Do you not like finance?

As a side note, I bought the Bicameral mind book after watching Westworld. I have zero idea how it will impact thinking about finance (was surprised to see it listed). Maybe you could try reading that one?

Fiction blows.

Last fiction book I read was Lord of the Rings. I hated it. And it’s supposed to be best of the best of the best.

Sorry Sweep. It’s true.

(Edit - now have Milli Vanilli stuck in my head. “Girl you know it’s true…ooh ooh ooh…I love you”

The best of the best of the best is now A Song of Ice and Fire by G. R. R. Martin. You should give it a try.