Professor?

Lots of smart people here so I am curious if anyone has ever given this any thought.

Did it for 7 years. Never gave it much thought though. bchadwick, busprof, UOLIII, many others have done it.

JoeyDVivre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Did it for 7 years. Never gave it much thought > though. bchadwick, busprof, UOLIII, many others > have done it. Really? How did you get into it as i want to go get my MBA (hopefully my CFA as well) with the intention of doing just that. Thanks in advance.

I have a question. When you do it, does it affect your grades? I think it would cuz she is no longer impartial.

NorthernCFA Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > JoeyDVivre Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Did it for 7 years. Never gave it much thought > > though. bchadwick, busprof, UOLIII, many > others > > have done it. > > > Really? How did you get into it as i want to go > get my MBA (hopefully my CFA as well) with the > intention of doing just that. Thanks in advance. You essentially have to get a Ph.D. to be a professor. Start in a Ph.D. program at a research university and it will be pretty clear how you become a professor.

I always thought a Community College gig in a nice beach community could not be beat later in life or for a mom… 1. guaranteed ~80k 2. 30 hours a week MAX 3. full benefits 4. 3 months vaca 5. no research/ publishing necessary. 6. surfing everyday

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I always thought a Community College gig in a nice > beach community could not be beat later in life or > for a mom… > > 1. guaranteed ~80k > 2. 30 hours a week MAX > 3. full benefits > 4. 3 months vaca > 5. no research/ publishing necessary. > 6. surfing everyday That deal sounds fun, if it’s real. These days, universities are cost cutting like crazy, and that means those nice cushy academic appointments are very difficult to secure anymore. I did have an advisor who said that the three best reasons to be an academic were June, July, and August. I could definitely see his point. I enjoyed teaching, save for a few whining students that always appeared in each class. The ability to research what most interested you was also nice, but I started feeling that the stuff that was getting the most respect was stuff that was increasingly disconnected to real events, and my own stuff started to feel too niche to move forward. However, with the finance industry flat on it’s back and finance jobs looking very iffy, maybe it is time to make use of those teaching credentials. I wonder how much those Schwesser/Stalla instructors make? It’s not my life goal to do that, but if consulting gigs dry up and the job market doesn’t improve, something like this might be the place to ride out the storm.

80k at a CC? That sounds high to me. Interesting thought, though. I wonder if CFA + a lot of exp would be enough, or if one would need a masters of some type.

80K sounds reasonable; my friend graduated 2 years ago w/ his master and is teaching at a community college earning just shy of 70k, with most of the benefits referenced in the OP

Think you could get a professor gig with a CFA and MBA? Seems like there is already an oversupply of budding business profs with PhDs. I know a guy with a PhD in marketing who had a very hard time getting (and finally got) a non-tenure track position at a community college–as akanska said, it is a cushy/desirable gig. Depends on the person/college too of course I guess. I pondered the PhD/professor track in my early 20s but I couldn’t justify 4+ years of no income and no guarantee of an outcome.

Its really not worth the cost/benefit analysis Northern. You make more as a PM. Willy

80K a year at a community college? A. most people who work at community colleges dont have PhDs, at least not any of the CC’s around “here.” Maybe NY or LA or something… B. 80K was a very high salary for profs at my college (think top 30 LAC), though not unheard of, it was not the norm for a new prof. And it’s not like the supply outweighed the demand, we had 85 applications for a tenure position in the finance dept. In my limited understanding, working at a smaller college isn’t really about the pay. The real benefits seem to be (at my school at least) - lifetime employment (unless you did something REALLY bad, ie selling crack on campus) - comfortable living (10:30-2:30 workday; 2:30-3:30 office hours on Tuesdays only :P) - ability to speak English unnecessary (Finance or Computer Science majors anyone?) - and finally, having the ability to be a complete nincompoop and flake without consequence… Can anyone sense that I’m just a little bitter about my $100,000K “educational” experience??

A few comments (and yes, I am a business school professor). 1) CC salaries are more in the range of 50-70 (80 seems high). 2) To get a teaching gig at a non-accredited school, you might be able to get by with a masters and a lot of experience. But at an AACSB accredited school (most good 4-year colleges), a PhD is a must. If you’re interested in what’s involved, here’s a good explanation http://financialrounds.blogspot.com/2006/07/whats-involved-in-getting-phd-in.html 3) The job market for finance PhDs is pretty good. Salaries at top schools are in the range of 160-180 for 9 months, with an additional 20% for summer support (note: I’m not at a top school, so I don;t pull down anything like that kind of coin). But at that level, there’s a lot of pressure to publish. Most folks I know at that level put in 70-90 hours a week. 4) A PhD is a RESEARCH degree. So, it you’re looking at getting the degree to teach, you might get very, very disillusioned (and burned out) in a doctoral program. Having said all that, for the right person, it’s the best gig possible (other than pro baseball player and rock star). I can’t imagine doing anything else

busprof Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > A few comments (and yes, I am a business school > professor). > > 1) CC salaries are more in the range of 50-70 (80 > seems high). > > 2) To get a teaching gig at a non-accredited > school, you might be able to get by with a masters > and a lot of experience. But at an AACSB > accredited school (most good 4-year colleges), a > PhD is a must. If you’re interested in what’s > involved, here’s a good explanation > > http://financialrounds.blogspot.com/2006/07/whats- > involved-in-getting-phd-in.html > > 3) The job market for finance PhDs is pretty good. > Salaries at top schools are in the range of > 160-180 for 9 months, with an additional 20% for > summer support (note: I’m not at a top school, so > I don;t pull down anything like that kind of > coin). But at that level, there’s a lot of > pressure to publish. Most folks I know at that > level put in 70-90 hours a week. > > 4) A PhD is a RESEARCH degree. So, it you’re > looking at getting the degree to teach, you might > get very, very disillusioned (and burned out) in a > doctoral program. > > Having said all that, for the right person, it’s > the best gig possible (other than pro baseball > player and rock star). I can’t imagine doing > anything else Thanks for that article. It really does clear up the MBA/PhD difference. I have some more questions and would greatly appreciate your input and advice if possible. Any chance I can put together an email and shoot it your way busprof?

unknownprofessor at hotmail dot com

Don’t forget the side benefits of trading sex for grades.

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Don’t forget the side benefits of trading sex for > grades. At my university the coeds don’t care enough about their GPA to offer to trade sex for grade enhancement. Either that, or the costs associate with are too high. In all seriousness, I’ve never had this happen. I could be dense and clueless (or just butt-ugly), but I think the whole professor/coed thing is mostly a fantasy to read about in Penthouse. I’ve seen a couple cases of profs marrying grad students, but usually it was the prof who initiated it. Not to be a prude, but I’ve got a daughter who’s not too much younger than some of my undergrads. So for me, it would be a bit creepy for me to go that way.

You must be teaching in the wrong place. I’ve got a bunch of stories - I had this student at a research conference trip who really wanted to take a bath. She even offered to sit on the faucet end of the tub.

for socal range is 62,292.00-105,712.00 depending on experiance and education. Master’s required for most topics (hehe MBA counts as masters). This is for 175 days of instruction. yeah- ceiling is low but its cush in my book. Leaves plenty of time for other endevours.

Joey: I haven’t heard of much of this going on in my field (maybe from when they were single PhD students, but not post-grad). Either finance majors have higher standards, faculty are butt-ugly and so bad that the bar’s too high, or we’re just more discreet. I;ve heard of a few faculty catting around with each other, but not faculty/student relations. I’m not sure how I’d even respond to an offer like that.