Programming Skills

If you learn Java, C++, and VB, are you pretty much set?

i have heard a good deal about .net, but never really understand how different it is from vb and c++.

Java will set you up pretty nicely. C# (which is a .net language) is the other big one right now. They’re both pretty similar. You should also invest some time in SQL (the standard database language). Its really not hard to learn pretty quickly, especially if you’ve done VLOOKUP in excel.

I agree with dlpicket. I would also suggest learning C# and SQL.

Is C# vastly different than C++?

what are you guys learning programming language for? SQL I see for database stuff maybe, where are you using this stuff?

IronMan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Is C# vastly different than C++? C# is easier, but similar. You can’t interact directly with hardware as much, but for financial type stuff, you probably didn’t do a lot of that anyway.

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > what are you guys learning programming language > for? SQL I see for database stuff maybe, where are > you using this stuff? At work, I’m in IT, supporting research, trading, accounting. At home, its pretty handy for building things more complex than excel can do. It would be really useful if you felt like building a big, extra-hairy Monte Carlo simulation… if that’s the sort of thing you do on Friday night.

dlpicket Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > tvPM Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > what are you guys learning programming language > > for? SQL I see for database stuff maybe, where > are > > you using this stuff? > > At work, I’m in IT, supporting research, trading, > accounting. > > At home, its pretty handy for building things more > complex than excel can do. > > It would be really useful if you felt like > building a big, extra-hairy Monte Carlo > simulation… if that’s the sort of thing you do > on Friday night. dl, would you recommend learning C and then C++? Or does it not really matter?

ahhhh I see. Then I sincerely hope to never learn a single bit of it. tvPM != programmer; Theres a bit of Java for you I believe…rock on coders, rock on

tvPM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ahhhh I see. Then I sincerely hope to never learn > a single bit of it. > tvPM != programmer; > Theres a bit of Java for you I believe…rock on > coders, rock on Everything depends on what you do and which skills you use. I don’t particularly like programming either but as a quant I have to program to test my ideas. Most of the time I can use Matlab but C# and SQL are still helpful.

More and more trading firms are preferring traders who can program and troubleshoot. So these programming skills in 5 years will probably be mandatory!

I was an MIS guy back in my former life so I have some familiarity…but coming from that I do hope to never go back, I was like straight out of the Hackers movie without Angelina Jolie…jolt cola, headphones bumpin techno, writing lines of code, ughhhh. Best of luck to you guys, I will not be competing for any job with you

My list: If you want to be a programmer: a) Learn any language deeply enough so you can quickly learn any others b) Learn to think structure c) Learn best practices and use them even if they are a pain in the butt d) Learn SQL and basic web stuff. e) Learn VBA well enough to impress any quant If you want to be a quant: a) Learn any random programming language well enough that you can get it to spit out the number 46.7 after some hours long tortuous process b) Learn VBA c) Learn SQL so you can get your own data d) Learn Matlab e) Possibly learn Mathematica or similar If you want to be a self-sufficient finance professional: a) Learn a programming language only if it’s fun b) Learn Excel inside out c) Learn VBA through macro recorder and modifying that code. d) Learn SQL through a query designer e) Learn how to reboot your machine at least once every three or four days f) Learn Bloomberg