Progress of an old man

Hello all, 1st post here, but just finished studying for the day and thought I’d kill some time: Just some info about my situation- 33yrs old, married, newborn child (2 months), employed full time (flexible work hrs) I passed level 1 in December 2010 and decided to jump into level II for June so I could finish this stuff before my son realizes I am neglecting him! So far my plan is as follows: 1 reading per day + EOC?s and a cumulative Qbank test (15, 30, or 60 min depending on how much steam I have left in me). I am doing .5 readings per day for all FSA and Equity readings cause that is rough stuff. Anyway, I am on reading 28 and the plan is working pretty well. It’s usually 3-6 hrs / day on average, but I have to say that it is working and retention is pretty good (75-80% on cumulative testing). It ain’t easy and my family is VERY supportive. Just wanted to put that out there for anyone else that might be I. My situation. BTW- my academic background is I’m Econ and math and I currently work as a financial advisor. Good luck to all and please reply if you share the pain of doing all this with a family, job, etc… We gotta stick together! Cheers!

Do some search, a guy over 60 years old got his CFA last year or the year before. Your age and situation are not that unusual. Good luck.

I agree, not that unusual. I am also 33, have two kids (3.5 and 1.5) and a very demanding job. I usually leave for work around 7:00 - 7:30 and get home around 7:00, quickly put the kids to bed, and then try to start studying when I am already exhausted. Weekends are the most challenging since I feel that is the time I can catch up, and the family rightfully wants my attention.

Great to hear I am not alone! Good luck to all and let’s hope our families forgive us once it’s all over!

waiguoren Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hello all, > > 1st post here, but just finished studying for the > day and thought I’d kill some time: > > Just some info about my situation- > > 33yrs old, married, newborn child (2 months), > employed full time (flexible work hrs) > > I passed level 1 in December 2010 and decided to > jump into level II for June so I could finish this > stuff before my son realizes I am neglecting him! > So far my plan is as follows: > > 1 reading per day + EOC?s and a cumulative Qbank > test (15, 30, or 60 min depending on how much > steam I have left in me). I am doing .5 readings > per day for all FSA and Equity readings cause that > is rough stuff. Anyway, I am on reading 28 and the > plan is working pretty well. It’s usually 3-6 hrs > / day on average, but I have to say that it is > working and retention is pretty good (75-80% on > cumulative testing). It ain’t easy and my family > is VERY supportive. Just wanted to put that out > there for anyone else that might be I. My > situation. > > BTW- my academic background is I’m Econ and math > and I currently work as a financial advisor. > > Good luck to all and please reply if you share the > pain of doing all this with a family, job, etc… > We gotta stick together! > > Cheers! waiguoren, just curious about why you decided the CFA over something like for CFP for financial advising? Don’t most people in financial advising world take the CFP?

Hey thommo77, I went the CFA route because I’d like to get into analysis or possibly corporate finance and out of financial advising. I am also looking at an MBA or phD to restock my academic arsenal and then jump back into life in a few years. Financial advising is great, but not as stable as I’d like for the future. Just my thoughts. Also, CFA has just been a great learning experience and leaves you well rounded for a lot of finance jobs. Feel free to add any thoughts!

If you are old, well i am older.36. married. 13 month old daughter.passed level 1 in dec’10. studying for level 2. i manage 2 hours on weekdays and 10 hours on weekends. total of 20 hours a week. just started studying. finished the first SS of equity. its a race against time for sure yes my family has been very supportive else i would not have made it this far and i hope they support me throughout. its tough on them and its hard to drag myself away from my angel to read about CAPM.I can understand what you are going through.the day i tame this beast i am going on a 2 week holiday. place doesn’t matter. till then every moment of free time is solely for studying.Good luck to all of us.

Hats off to those of you that are married and have the energy to study, work full-time, and still devote time to family. No easy task I’m sure. Just remember, it’s only a couple more months! Good luck to all.

I am also married and have one child of 7 months old. I did level 2 while 8 months pregnant and failed (off course). now trying again, but no support from family at all. on the contrary my mother in law doesn’t like me to study for CFA. no time to study. :frowning:

i feel bad if you don’t have the support, i just found out that we have a baby on the way. I am trying to think about both that and the test. good luck

Sherbeer, Level II while 8months pregnant?! My wife couldn’t be bothered to get off the couch, much less study 3-6hrs per day and I don’t blame her. Mad props to you. Family support or not, I am sure you will ace this beast out of sheer will when you decide it is time. And I think that all of our children will appreciate our work… In about 20-25yrs :wink: I am going in cfai order and I just finished FSA today. About half way… We can do this! Best of luck