Prospects for CFAs

I am prepping for the L1 to be given in June.5 My passion has been automobiles ever since I have learned how to turn the pages of a magazine. I am have been wondering whether there are career avenues that might me allow me to combine my passion and the knowledge gained through this program. Any feedback is welcome, thanks.

Maybe cover the industry as an Equity Analyst?

Is English your first language?

No, but I speak it just as well.

Sell Side Equity Research covering the auto industry. Awesome job, but you’ll need to seriously improve your writing.

Could you be more specific as to your reasoning? Thanks.

My reasoning for recommending sell side research? I’m by no means an authority, but here are some basics. Sell Side analysts research, analyze and value publicly traded companies. They’re responsible for forecasting earnings and setting price recommendations on the companies they cover. Most industries are covered. An individual team of analysts usually cover one sector or industry. They would follow around 10 or 15 companies (from what I’ve been told). Sell side analysts are completely immersed in the industries they cover. The job combine financial analysis with heavy exposure to a particular industry. An analyst who covers the auto industry would actually meet with auto execs and talk about initiatives and stuff like that. Seems like the perfect job for you. My reasoning for recommending that you improve your writing? Simple, your grammar is awful (no offense) and the job entails writing detailed reports about companies.

I see what you mean by the grammar. Thanks for pointing out the typo.

it’s CFA charterholders, not “CFAs”

cfaprincess Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it’s CFA charterholders, not “CFAs” Wow. Do you just patrol internet message boards looking for stuff to call people out on or something? I think “CFAs” works just fine for all intents and purposes here. Geez, lighten up

JakeMC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfaprincess Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > it’s CFA charterholders, not “CFAs” > > Wow. Do you just patrol internet message boards > looking for stuff to call people out on or > something? I think “CFAs” works just fine for all > intents and purposes here. Geez, lighten up me to cfa princess - We have a 187 on spelling. Location is AF. me to JakeMc - It’s “geeze”, not “geez.” me - Proceeding to apprehend the suspect; cover me, cfa princess.

JakeMC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > cfaprincess Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > it’s CFA charterholders, not “CFAs” > > Wow. Do you just patrol internet message boards > looking for stuff to call people out on or > something? I think “CFAs” works just fine for all > intents and purposes here. Geez, lighten up in fairness it doesn’t work just fine for the exam.

LOL…i see this being the start of a great thread

it works just fine if it’s the only question you get wrong :P. So really you can call yourself Cat Fancier Analyst or whatever. As long as you answer every other question correctly.

hahaha maybe we should consider getting cfa institute to pay ppl like me to “patrol internet message boards looking for stuff to call people out on or something” ;p who knows i might earn a tidy sum (maybe even more than an avg day job).

nobody of importance, not even on the sell-side, really cares if people say “CFA’s,” “CFA charterholders,” etc. honestly, i think this is something that only people with too much free time care about

The rule about not referring to CFA charterholders as CFAs is a silly rule. It’s only in the Ethics section because the CFA institute is worried about trademark protection. Nobody truly feels that referring to someone as “a CFA” means that that person is ethically suspect. In certain contexts, having someone refer to themselves as “a CFA” suggests that maybe they don’t know what they’re talking about (since they should know about the rule), but I don’t think this board is one of those contexts. Ok, occasional teasing and joking about the stupid rule is fine, but if we’re going to have flame wars on this board, let’s have it about something sensible, like whether President Bush is responsible for the mess(es) we’re in or not.

bchadwick Wrote: > Ok, occasional teasing and joking about the stupid > rule is fine, but if we’re going to have flame > wars on this board, let’s have it about something > sensible, like whether President Bush is > responsible for the mess(es) we’re in or not. We’ve definetly had none of those eh? LOL

willchan11 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > me to JakeMc - It’s “geeze”, not “geez.” I don’t believe there’s a standardized spelling of “Jeez”.

Jezz ball was a fun game. I played that non stop to get me through class.