purchasing an engagement ring

what do you guys think is a reasonable amount of $$ to spend on a one of these things 24 and an analyst at a boutique M&A shop to give you an idea of income level but i really dont buy into the whole 2 months of salary rule of thumb coming from a finance background a find that it is a hard pill to swallow - sinking thousands of dollars into a completely unproductive asset in any event i just wanted to get other ppl’s opinions on the subject

1. Don’t do it, you’re too young 2) If you ignore “1”, then splurge on something…you don’t want your girl to be embarrassed to show off the teensy weensy ring you bought her. I’d say $20K can get you something that she’s not embarrassed by.

Costco

Buy her the best ring zirconia has to offer

The hope diamond should suffice.

ASSet_MANagement Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Costco Sears has a better selection.

marcus phoenix Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ASSet_MANagement Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Costco > > > Sears has a better selection. +1, i aint droppping that much cash on a costco membership card that’s worth as much as the ring im buying

Also mod please move this to BO.

24 years old? I wouldn’t be thinking about engagement rings…maybe a pearl necklace.

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 24 years old? I wouldn’t be thinking about > engagement rings…maybe a pearl necklace. NICE WORK NUMI!

why are you singles hatin on the guy who has found the ONE? go for it, brah - seal the deal

I’m not single, but I ain’t married either.

Don’t buy retail, you can get much better value / quality and design your own ring if you go direct to a whole sale broker.

you marry when you meet her, not when you reach the *right* age and it’s your “time” to go. that’s like a western form of socially arranged marriage

DONT DO IT! YOU’RE ONLY 24 WHAT ARE YOU THINKING MAN!!!

Marriage is an excersice in sinking thousands of dollars into completely unproductive assets. Extreme wealth is only one reason to get married before the age of 35.

murders&executions Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Marriage is an excersice in sinking thousands of > dollars into completely unproductive assets. > > Extreme wealth is only one reason to get married > before the age of 35. Agreed. OP will regret his decision for the rest of his miserable life. And once they start spawing the roaches, its all downhill.

dont listen to these cynics trying to brah-inwash you, man! love is the answer

bluenile.com has a slider where you adjust each area (clarity, color, price, etc) and you can see their inventory. I went around to some local jewelers to see what they had and then went online and put in the same specs and the price was much lower. I bought from bluenile. Whatever you do, do not buy it at a mall jewelry store like Jared or Zales.

wtf? the first question the girl’s friend will ask is where you got it from costco? you guys are in finance. i knew the economy was bad, but you guys are sad