Quant analyst job

Hi Guys, So whats a job like this like. Is it enjoyable, is it in the moment and exciting like a trader type job, are you following the market a lot? I have passed L1 and learnt what amount they have there on quant, and I don’t see it being these things, but I have the possibility of going for a junior quant job. So wondering if i’d like it or not. What does a quant job normally involve, or is it just plain boring?? And what are the salaries generally like for quant analysts?

maddane Wrote: > > > I have passed L1 and learnt what amount they have > there on quant, and I don’t see it being these > things, but I have the possibility of going for a > junior quant job. So wondering if i’d like it or > not. > > This makes no sense. Anyway, L1 and all the CFA quant, for that matter, is more general tools used in analysis. It is not nearly as in depth as a quant analyst’s role would be.

What part don’t you understand of it Diesel, is english not your first language?

Because you’re saying the only quant you know is from L1, yet you are not expecting the job to involve those aspects… then you’re asking us if you’d like the job or not based on that. Guessing that’s the part that makes no sense - not the language.

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > What part don’t you understand of it Diesel, is > english not your first language? Why are you getting so defensive? Quants often have PhD’s in physics and command salaries starting in the six figures. Sorry but having passed Level One Quant is insignificant for this role.

Yes. I am pretty sure even level 2 Quant is not good enough. It is not even close. If you have chances to become a Quant, I think it is not because of your CFA level 1 skills.

Idiots, I said the only quant I know is from level 1 teally, although I have a bachelor in banking and finance. And I even said that I don’t see it being like that anyway!!! Man you guys are thick, or just love jumping on people who ask serious questions here. Read what I bloody wrote, and get a life and actually see what it’s like to toucha real girl, geeks.

You end up freaking out in all your forum posts. The only quant experience you have is your undergrad and CFA 1. Most quant analysts need more than that, so its hard to answer any of your questions. Relax. Its the internet.

guys, hes asking for a junior quant job and u are are indirectly suggesting him to do a PhD. L1 is enough for any type of junior analyst job. It is hard for me to believe that even at later stages I would use all my math knowledge. Besides, how are you going to explain to a Physicist what do you mean by credit risk ? Take the job if you ask me. It’s not boring especially if you like researching markets etc. I forgot to say that, yes, you will definately need to expand beyond your undergrad. A good Msc degree or PhD is what you would have to get in order to progress further.

“Read what I bloody wrote, and get a life and actually see what it’s like to toucha real girl, geeks.” Classic. You’re special.

I know a few people who came out of undergrad (state school) and ended up in quant. Some like it, some dont… From what they tell me, at least the junior positions are mostly tedious, lots of programming and number crunching and they mostly work with older people. But if your really into modeling, might be a good place to start GenY

Oh, pretty sure they make around 50,000

Most of quant jobs I look at need stochastic calculus, FDM and C++ etc. at minimum. CFA does not teach any of those. I do not know there are other kinds of Quant job exists. But they are most likely not that interesting.

maddane, the reason people are responding the way they are is that it does not appear that you know what “quant analysts” do, and your questions are incredibly mundane (or shall i say, “maddane”). anyway, whether it’s fair or not, there are people here that aren’t that receptive to very broad questions, and it would seem that if you were really serious in finding these answers you would have done some basic diligence before posting here.

I don’t think he was even getting ripped on that much. He was more upset that people we’re telling him that Level I doesn’t make him qualified. Kill the messenger.

Not at all upset about taht lads, because I know I’m qualified, its for a junior position and they have told me my education is fine. Im just asking for a feel of what it is like. There are just so many people on this board who rip into everyone straight away here, just a snide arrogance. But either way, i don’t care because unlike most on here I’m not some little stick figure ugly weed who has never touched a female of the human species before who isn’t there own mother or sister

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not at all upset about taht lads, because I know > I’m qualified, its for a junior position and they > have told me my education is fine. Im just asking > for a feel of what it is like. > > There are just so many people on this board who > rip into everyone straight away here, just a snide > arrogance. But either way, i don’t care because > unlike most on here I’m not some little stick > figure ugly weed who has never touched a female of > the human species before who isn’t there own > mother or sister Are you a girl? That would make this post so much cooler

wow, so much maturity maddane…

But either way, i don’t care because > unlike most on here I’m not some little stick > figure ugly weed who has never touched a female of > the human species before who isn’t there own > mother or sister I am rather heavy set, and have rarely touched a female human being, and although I would like to, and I often try to, I am not quite sure the relevance of that to this thread.

You can’t be a quant analyst unless you have a good chance of mating you see…