Quant Hell

I feel like I’ve been stuck on Volume 1 forever. I’m going on 1 month and I’ve managed to read a total of 500 pages so far. Quant takes me an hour to work my way through 10-15 pages of material. Some of it I’m not sure I really even understand after hours of work. Anyone else in my boat? Are you getting concerned you wont finish in time? I’m dreaming of the day I make it to Volume 2 (Economics) because I KNOW IT CAN’T GET ANY WORSE.

quant and fsa suck. just push through. you’ll forget it all by the time you read the entire curriculum anyway so just understand the basics and come back to it hard in may.

is there any particular order you are reading the material?

I am reading the books in order of the study sessions.

They are pretty terrible (quant n fra), especially if you do not have prior background in finance… just go through them somehow… when you do them, they might seem easier though learning all the formulas n stuff will take time… need to keep revisiting them … right now i am revising quant, had done it 1.5-2 months back… still a little confusing sometimes… Econ is definitely easier even if you have never taken it before!

BC_MBA_student Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I feel like I’ve been stuck on Volume 1 forever. > I’m going on 1 month and I’ve managed to read a > total of 500 pages so far. Quant takes me an hour > to work my way through 10-15 pages of material. > Some of it I’m not sure I really even understand > after hours of work. Anyone else in my boat? Are > you getting concerned you wont finish in time? I’m > dreaming of the day I make it to Volume 2 > (Economics) because I KNOW IT CAN’T GET ANY WORSE. Oh…then you’ll face FSA, Fixed Income and Derivatives!!! Ya got to nail…Equity, Fixed Income, Derivatives, Alternative Investments and Portfolio Management…you’ll see those areas through all three exams. Don’t feel bad if you don’t get through all of the material, I believe the 20 to 25% of the no shows on exam day don’t attend for that very reason…don’t finish the material and are definitely not prepared.

This is normal. While studying for L1 I was going through 50 pages a day until I hit Quant and just decided to skip over it (the last 100 pages or so are especially tedious). Don’t waste too much time on any one section because you’re just going to forget it all later. Instead try to retain the key points and refresh your memory when you start reviewing.

My advice is just through it somehow. Then when you are reading Book 4 - Portfolio Mgmt - that’s where you see most of the Quants stuff again. In a way, it’s a really good review of Quants! Now, I am seriously worried about FSA!!!

best way to learn quant is doing questions

Why the hate bro? I failed L1 cause I couldn’t crack quant. The second time around I hammered question after question and all of a sudden it clicked. Then I knocked out a >70. Now quant and I get along great and I’ve come to enjoy it.

Being an engineering major and having taken Statistics in college, I find most of the Quant material manageable. However, I understand your situation. From what I have heard, quant is spread all throughout the curriculum - not just in Quant section. You will see it in Fixed Income and Portfolio Mgmt and lots of others topics apparently. Hence, it makes sense to understand quant well and not skip it.

Are you new to finance/stats? Yesterday, i went through about 120 pages of quant in about 2-3 hours. The stuff is boring but not much of it is new to me. Can’t wait to finally finish this book. If its new to you, follow the advice of the other posts: grind it out. They don’t do the best job explaining the notation so that slows the reading down.