Question Format

Just wanted people’s opinion, but when doing item sets, do you read the full item set first or do you go straight to the question’s, and find the section of the set that applies to that question. Because I notice that each question applies to only a certain part of the set. So to save time during the exam, due you think it would be wiser to go straight to questions or read item set first? I would prefer to read first obviously but time may become an issue

i was going to post this very question myself. i have timed both methods on a mock. i am better going straight to question 1, then reading the question till i get the answer, then question 2 and so on. I find that if i read the whole question i forget who says what to whom :-).

I feel better going straight to the question. Improves both speed and accuracy for me.

I generally go straight for the questions so I know what I am looking to answer when reading the item set. 99% of the time the vignette will flow in chronological order.

Question First. Like Chuck said. They are chronological 99% of the time so as I am doing Q1 I draw a line when the facts change and move on to next topic. It keeps me from missing that one sentence paragraph that may include a piece of information that changes your answer. It helps me from getting careless and missing an important point. It also help if you don’t know an answer the first time and you are then coming back to the question. Not to mention there are a shocking number of questions that you need very little info from Vignette to answer.

Cheers for responses, basically what i was thinking as well

I agree with everyone but in the EOCs, i realized that small little details may be relevant to answer the questions. Although it may save you time to skip it, you may get the wrong answer because you failed to read the full thing. Better safe than sorry!

canadiananalyst Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I agree with everyone but in the EOCs, i realized > that small little details may be relevant to > answer the questions. Although it may save you > time to skip it, you may get the wrong answer > because you failed to read the full thing. Better > safe than sorry! +1 I am part of the minority that reads the full item set. I am doing a “diagonal” reading of the item set and at the same time I underline “suspicious” and “key” facts. 99% of the time these “suspicious” facts appear in the questions so I am better prepared to answer them. This may be more time - consuming but I feel more confident when I have the full picture of the case. Besides, there are key details which you may miss if you hurry to skip to the question.