Question on eligibility to use FRM designation

Need an advice. I am planning to write FRM L1 in 2012. I have a question on provision of FRM certification after I complete the FRM exam. I work for a global investment bank as a front office software developer and have an experience of 3 years in investment banking with a 7+ years overall experience in software development. Question: Do I need to work specifically in risk management space to attain the certification once I complete both levels or an experience in any stream of finance will suffice to use FRM designation with my name?

GARP says that in order to become certified as an FRM, you need to have: “A minimum of two years professional full-time work experience in the area of financial risk management or another related field including, but not limited to, trading, portfolio management, faculty academic, industry research, economics, auditing, risk consulting, and/or risk technology.” They provide a sample list of acceptable job titles here… http://www.garp.org/frm/overview/requirements/frm-qualifying-job-titles.aspx

Many thanks Wendy. Its there “Financial Software Developer” under “Software Vendor” category.