Question on FSA

Hello all,
I was solving this question and need some help please.
Which of the following is an indication of a company is prematurely recognizing revenue compared to its competitors.
1-asset turnover is decreasing
2- receivable turnover is increasing
3-days sales outstanding is increasing

The answer was 3.
However, there was no clarity in the given if company’s sales are all on account or partly on cash and partly on account. So, let us say they have a big part of sales are on cash, prematurely recording advances from clients as revenues will increase the receivable turnover( more sales in numerator and not accompanied by same increase in receivables). Thus answer 2 will be correct here.

Please your views on the above @ S2000magician and others.

@S2000magician please appreciate your reply

If companies prematurely recognize revenues then account receivables increase. DSO=( account receivables/ total credit sales) * number of days , if AR increases , DSO increases. However, AR turnover = net credit sales/ave.AR, it decreases when companies prematurely recognize revenues.

thank

I apologize: I’ve been quite busy recently, and have had an awful backache.

I’ll look in later today or tomorrow to see if I can add anything of merit.

@S2000magician Thank you for your response, and I hope you feel much better soon. God bless.

@Master2 We have to read these ratios as what is the relationship between the numerator and denominator (and not as standalone interpretations)

1. Receivables Turnover typically is = Sales/Receivables.
    So, the lower the number of Receivables compared to Sales, the higher the ratio will be. Hence, increasing Receivables Turnover ratio means Receivables are decreasing, which is a good sign.

2. Day Sales Outstanding = Accounts Receivable / Net Credit Sales
    So, increasing DSO means A/R has increased compared to credit sales. If Receivables are suspiciously high or increasing compared to a company’s sales (either a sign of deliquent customers, lazy collections or even worse, potential earnings manipulation).

Hope it helps, let me know :slight_smile: