Question on MBA school in Canada

I just graduated from University of Waterloo with a mathematics degree. I want to enroll into a MBA program in the near future. I am just wondering which school is the “best” for its MBA program, what GPA must I have and what kind of work experiences are they looking at. Also what are some of the main courses you learn in a MBA program and what do CFA and MBA have in common?

http://www.analystforum.com/121304.shtml

Thanks for the article. It is very informative. I think I would prefer MBA over CFA for one reason the article did not state: MBA is more acceptable in China, HK or Japan.

Don’t do MBA straight out of undergrad. Just my 2

You can’t get into a good MBA program without work experience…

I know someone that was accepted into the schulich MBA program without virtually ANY work experience and she got into the part-time program. This was maybe back in '01 or '02. Then again, I don’t hold a schulich MBA with high regard anymore after seeing the types of people they’ve let in over the past few years. I’d probably stick with Ivey, Rotmans and I think the Queen’s MBA is good as well (IIRC) and consistently rank well amongst its peers worldwide.

If you’ve done a canadian undergrad in business, then it doesn’t matter where you do a canadian MBA…the value isn’t much (so i wouldn’t pay up for ivey, queens, rotman etc.). If you want value, go stateside or across the pond. if you don’t have an undergrad in business, then stick with york, rotman, ivey, queens…

^ | its nice to recommend ivy, york, rotman, etc… *buuut* you need relevant work experience to get into those MBA programs…

jeff_s Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ^ > | > its nice to recommend ivy, york, rotman, etc… > *buuut* you need relevant work experience to get > into those MBA programs… WRONG, i got into all w/o experience, GOOD GMAT and GPA will do the trick

++ you gotta shine in the interviews , thats important too

viktorv Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jeff_s Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > ^ > > | > > its nice to recommend ivy, york, rotman, etc… > > > *buuut* you need relevant work experience to > get > > into those MBA programs… > > > WRONG, > > i got into all w/o experience, GOOD GMAT and GPA > will do the trick from what i’ve heard about those schools, that is the exception rather than the norm. and why the hell would anyone want to do an MBA with people who have no business experience? (no offense…but i would want to go to a school where your peers can share their insights into the industries they’ve worked in)

strikershank Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you’ve done a canadian undergrad in business, > then it doesn’t matter where you do a canadian > MBA…the value isn’t much (so i wouldn’t pay up > for ivey, queens, rotman etc.). If you want value, > go stateside or across the pond. > > if you don’t have an undergrad in business, then > stick with york, rotman, ivey, queens… bang on

> > from what i’ve heard about those schools, that is > the exception rather than the norm. and why the > hell would anyone want to do an MBA with people > who have no business experience? (no offense…but > i would want to go to a school where your peers > can share their insights into the industries > they’ve worked in) yeah thats true, most people do have experience and its better that way too for your learning/networking , but you dont absolutely need it to get in.

Thanks guys. I will surely not consider getting into MBA now. I need some years of work experience and most importantly money. I do have some knowledge in business and finance. Even though I am a math graduate. I took all my electives in the business and finance.