Question to the board......

I recently found out that I am being mobilized back to Active Duty for the next 1.5 yrs to Afghanistan. Recently passed L2 so my L3 exam is going to be put on hold for atleast 2 yrs. In an effort to find something to help pass time with whatever free time I’ll have while I’m deployed, and to keep from going insane, I’m debating on whether to do the following. Pls post a comment on your thought, and since we live in a democracy, I’ll tally the votes and listen to the forum! Tks and here are the questions: 1) Do I take the GMAT study book and study the hell out of it (exam doesn’t change anywhere as much as L3 yr-to-yr) for the next 1.5 yrs, take the GMAT upon my return and try to score 620+. 2) Take the Ethics Standards of Practice Handbook with me, study every nuance CFAI could throw on the exam, and destroy Ethics when I finally take L3. I mean, I should be able to recite every standard example verbatim after that long! If someone has an alternative to the above I’ll consider it as well. I’ll leave this posted for a week, tally the results and then post the decision next Sun. Sept 13th after the last football game of the day. Tks and good luck to everyone taking 2010 L3!!!

mate…i hope this war ends…please take care… on what to study…i guess u take CFA L3 full material with schwezer and stalla…once you do that u should ace the exam… Best of luck and hope you will be CFA sooner rather than later… God bless

It doesn’t really seem the L3 material changes much year over year. I think they add new stuff an drop some other stuff from year to year, but going back a few years alot of it seems to be the same. So I don’t think it would be a bad idea to take the whole L3 material with you and go at it in your “spare time” over there. Then when you get back you have a good start on the 2011 or 2012 exam…whichever will be more feasible for you. Hope that helps. God Bless and stay safe.

Would it be helpful to begin with Schweser or Stalla notes, and then use the CFAI text in the year when I actually write the exam?

I thought about that idea eltia and it might not be bad to say atleast take the Schweser Qucik sheet from 2009 and maybe print a few of the essays/answers out to ‘review’ if you will. I can’t take the 50 lbs of CFAI/Schweser material with me, just not feasible. Just looking for something small to tuck into my backpack to break out on the plane or my tent or whatever I’ll be sleeping in. Seems like so far the forum is saying I should take whatever I can to atleast get a jump on whatever yr I take L3 in. On that note, if there are any 2010 L3 retakers that have the 2009 Schweser Quick Sheet who wouldn’t mind faxing or emailing me a copy, that would be much appreciated. Tks for the wishes and input, much appreciated. Hopefully I can post every now and then on AF while I’m deployed to see how studying is coming for everyone as well as a status/update on myself. Tks, TheShackster

caddyshack37 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I recently found out that I am being mobilized > back to Active Duty for the next 1.5 yrs to > Afghanistan. Recently passed L2 so my L3 exam is > going to be put on hold for atleast 2 yrs. > > In an effort to find something to help pass time > with whatever free time I’ll have while I’m > deployed, and to keep from going insane, I’m > debating on whether to do the following. Pls post > a comment on your thought, and since we live in a > democracy, I’ll tally the votes and listen to the > forum! Tks and here are the questions: > > 1) Do I take the GMAT study book and study the > hell out of it (exam doesn’t change anywhere as > much as L3 yr-to-yr) for the next 1.5 yrs, take > the GMAT upon my return and try to score 620+. > > 2) Take the Ethics Standards of Practice Handbook > with me, study every nuance CFAI could throw on > the exam, and destroy Ethics when I finally take > L3. I mean, I should be able to recite every > standard example verbatim after that long! > > If someone has an alternative to the above I’ll > consider it as well. I’ll leave this posted for a > week, tally the results and then post the decision > next Sun. Sept 13th after the last football game > of the day. > > Tks and good luck to everyone taking 2010 L3!!! firstly, i would like to thank you for your sacrifice so the rest of us can live and study in a free democratic world. my advice to you is stay alive and keep your mind sharp for the tasks you have to accomplish while you are deployed. any more things on your mind may disrupt your ability/rhythmn to function at your highest level. when you get back, you’ll have to study anyways. you’ll be able to do so in peace. so, inmho, just stay safe and alive and we’ll see you soon and i’m sure you’ll ace L3 whenever you write it. god bless

take care man…um… caddyshack. Perhaps you should be reading comedy or improv as a counterbalance

First of all, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for your service to the nation and keeping us and our families safe. Words cannot do justice in trying to convey our gratitute, so I hope a simple THANK YOU and STAY SAFE will do. As far as what to study, my suggestion is that unless you plan on going after a top tier grad school after your safe return, I suggest focusing on keeping up with at least some of the curriculum of the CFAI Level III is best, and nailing this final step. Hope that helps, and good luck and stay safe!

Why not take both with you and see what you have time for and what suites your mind better. In either case you’ll have go back to studying before the exam in either case. And what’s up with 620 on gmats, did you mean 720? Good luck

Be well, caddy. Thanks for your service. GMAT won’t take anywhere near that long. How about taking Secret Sauce book?

ylager…I like the idea of staying on the CFA L3 path, which is what most people have suggested; focus one one exam (L3) then move to another (GMAT). The GMAT doesn’t seem to require any where near the prep time as for CFA. Seems like 2 months prep for GMAT is more than ample. ilkandi…we were at the Cubs/Pads game a few weeks ago and guess who I got to autopgraph my white W (Cubs Win) flag? None other than Bill Murray. I told him I was going over to Afghanistan to work as a caddy (insert Carl rant from Caddyshack)… So I’ve got that going for me…which is nice.

caddy–u in san diego and a cubs fan? hit me up at willispierre at hotmail dot com. its sad being a cubs fan this year, but i am die hard and from chicago… too bad you have to ship out or we could destroy L3 together next year.