Questions about Interview

Hey guys, interview is coming up for the Equity Research Associate job in a day and I just wanted to get some questions answered (I have searched haha). In the threads I have read, the candidate seems to have known what sector they would be assigned to if they got the job. The tip was to be able to talk about some companies and the sector in some depth. Since I wasn’t told a sector, is just knowing whats going on in the current market and being able to discuss it enough? Since I have not interned for a finance job at a legit company (my one internship was at a local industrial company in there “finance division”), how am I supposed to handle a question when they ask about modeling? I am aware of how to discount cash flows . . . Writing tests seem to have been given. Can anyone email me a few pages of a research report for any stock so I can get a good feel of what they are looking for? Email is Nabil523@gmail.com Obviously I am going to emphasize enrollement and passing the first CFA exam as that is what most likely got me the interview (i’ll stress ethics). Are there any other general tips on an ER interview or questions I should expect? I know I shouldn’t go drunk, bring a stripper, or poop my pants during the interview, but what if I brought enough strippers for everyone? Thanks for your help everyone.

Niblita75 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey guys, interview is coming up for the Equity > Research Associate job in a day and I just wanted > to get some questions answered (I have searched > haha). > > In the threads I have read, the candidate seems to > have known what sector they would be assigned to > if they got the job. The tip was to be able to > talk about some companies and the sector in some > depth. Since I wasn’t told a sector, is just > knowing whats going on in the current market and > being able to discuss it enough? yes, know the market and then show that you can think critically about various businesses. i personally found that my experience with consulting case interviews like market sizing, business analysis, synergy assessments was helpful in terms of thinking aloud through these types of problems (which you should expect to face). i never did work in consulting but felt that the type of preparation you’d go through for big 3 interviews and stuff like that will be helpful in research, because it’s really important that you can successfully convey that you are an analytical person and you know what key factors to focus in on when assessing a business opportunity. however if you do know the sector you are interviewing for, then definitely get a hold of the analyst’s reports and try to understand his key investment ideas on the top picks > Since I have not interned for a finance job at a > legit company (my one internship was at a local > industrial company in there “finance division”), > how am I supposed to handle a question when they > ask about modeling? I am aware of how to discount > cash flows . . . if you say you know how to do DCF, be prepared to walk them through a DCF. this means not only regurgitating formulas but understanding why certain assumptions are made and when, and also how changing a certain input will affect the output. also you should know when DCF is an appropriate valuation method and when it isn’t, as well as various pitfalls when using it as a valuation method (refer to your CFAI curriculum, there is a pretty good section describing this in the Level II books) > Writing tests seem to have been given. Can anyone > email me a few pages of a research report for any > stock so I can get a good feel of what they are > looking for? Email is Nabil523@gmail.com i could, but in research you will be expected to think of resourceful ways to get the information you need. getting copies of competitor reports will be one of the “easier” tasks you will face so consider this part of your job preparation process. > Obviously I am going to emphasize enrollement and > passing the first CFA exam as that is what most > likely got me the interview (i’ll stress ethics). don’t stress ethics, it’s not relevant, and also don’t go overboard with passing level I because it just really isn’t a big deal. talk about how it affirms your interest in finance, but making anything more out of it will probably be held against you since you do not understand the importance of work experience > Are there any other general tips on an ER > interview or questions I should expect? yes > I know I shouldn’t go drunk, bring a stripper, or > poop my pants during the interview, but what if I > brought enough strippers for everyone? we’ll talk about that when you’re in the office tomorrow. good luck.

Is this an on campus interview at the analyst (pre-mba) level?

Checking in the CFAI text now, thanks numi. I didn’t mean stressing passing L1 constantly, but as one of my stronger points since work exp isn’t much to speak of. EDIT: Just looking at the asset valuation book is a relief. I’m 100 pages into FSA in this is so much better.

Sorry, this first interview is on-campus for undergrads/alums apparently as well, but definitely pre-mba.

Niblita- If I remember correctly its an interview with RJ. Check out their website for examples: http://raymondjames.com/rsch.htm

Wow, I feel like an idiot now, I’ve been looking over and pulling info about the company from htpp://raymondjamesecm.com (the equity capital markets site). I can’t believe I looked over that. Thank you.

I have an interview for research with BOA tomorrow. Same situation in every way, on campus interview, it is not for a specific area. Any advice on specific more questions we could be asked?