Quiz: Do you live in a bubble?

The author is Charles Murray, co-author of “The Bell Curve”. Take from that what you will.

I love the DemoRepubLibertaGreenpeace guys who have all the answers. I seriously don’t know. I sort of know where I will draw the line, but I don’t know the answer. Plus, Democrats want the illegals because hey man, everybody deserves a cadillac; Republicans want them to replace their loss of slaves; Libertarians probably don’t care because borders are artificial barriers to trade and travel imposed by Big Brother and Greenpeace guys don’t care because illegals are not whales.

My lines are:

Punishing children for their parents’ transgression = Bad. But, Mexico has free education as well.

Deporting all illegals = impractical and real risk of targeting legals / citizens unfairly. So, just shut the doors that they have forced open, like free medical care via ER.

Not enforcing immigration-related laws (like proof of residence checks, eVerify for employment etc) - the worst. Deliberate and endorsed by both major parties.

Anchor babies should not be allowed, but that needs a constitutional amendment.

My solutions:

Either enforce the laws on the books - Illegal immigrants would not be able to get a job or put their kids in school in the first place. Anchor babies would still happen. Oh well.

Or - charge them tuition equal to what my district spends on each student each year (around $15,000 I believe.) Same with ER. They need to pay their own way like most of us (except of course the well-connected bankers, spunboy.)

Ultimately, if an illegal immigrant can’t take it, too bad. There are legal immigrants waiting in line. Don’t jump the line.

^ I’m going on 10 years (I think, between college, grad school, and work) this summer and 3rd type of visa navigating the insane US immigration system. My 2 employers have each spent somewhere in the neighborhood of $2-3k, not including legal fees to employ me. The senate immigration bill which puts a 13 year path to residency for illegals makes me furious. I think they should set a number of green cards issued per year and tie it to something quantifiable, then start a priority based on family and employment need, then put all of the illegals at the end of the line.

Anyway I say for now, it shouldn’t be difficult to verify legal status. Every worker needs a SSN. That should be linked to their legal status which should be checked by every employer. Every year at tax season, cross check the SSNs of people receiving W2s and 1099s with their legal status.

Problem is democrats want amnesty or whatever close to it they can get because it means they’re virtually sure to be democratic voters for life. I don’t think republicans know what they want out of this, and unfortunately people like me, the legal employment based immigrants, are too small of a category to care about and probably split between dems/repubs so nobody will want to risk dealing with that.

Illegal aliens can’t vote. Neither can legal aliens, BTW.

^Which is why the “path to citizenship” talk.

Democrats are open and honest about making illegal aliens into citizens for their votes. No sense of shame or injustice overr aiding lawbreakers.

Republicans are duplicitous, enouraging the border watchers / militia on one hand while deliberately cutting the budget of the real (professional law enforcement) border patrol. They can’t quite decide if the browning of America is a bigger threat than higher wages that cannot be undercut by hiring Juan from the Home Depot parking lot. But they know the border militia types will never vote Democrat anyway, so the pocket book wins.

^That’s the 1RH that we all know and love!

But I disagree with your point. First, there are far more “brown people” (legal ones with a vote) than there are law-enforcement types, so they would have more votes to cast. Second, pocketbooks do not vote at all.

Yes, Democrat politicians are completely duplicitous - they just want this citizenship stuff to shore up their Latino vote. Republicans, on the other hand, are just not logical. They really want to build 700 miles of fence with infra red scanners? What the? Mexico must be really fucked up if people are crawling across the border into a country run by these clowns.

34…

Am I the only one that would have given a different answer depending on whether the “Jimmie Johnson” question was given verbally instead of written? I can’t imagine the author actually thought about spelling before coming up with that question.

Any decent redneck knows the difference between Jimmie Johnson and Jimmy Johnson. One of them is one of the greatest figures ever in his sport and the other just drives a car.

I’m not sure what you are implying, but I don’t think one debatable chapter in one book should discredit someone. I’ve read The Bell Curve, Coming Apart, In Pursuit and most of Human Accomplishment . I think he brings up valid issues that no one wants to touch because it isn’t pc. Coming Apart is one of the better books I’ve read in the past year.