R8: Dependent and independent probabilities

Hi I having trouble with this question: The following table summarizes the availability of trucks with air bags and bucket seats at a dealership.
Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 10.16.51 pm
What is the probability of randomly selecting a truck with air bags and bucket seats?

The way i approached this question since its dependent probability using the multiplication rule:
P(Airbag and Bucket seat) = P(Airbags | Bucket) * P(Bucket) --> 75/220 * 110/220 --> 0.34*0.5 =0.17
but the answer is 0.34 can someone explain where i went wrong with the formula?
Thank you

P(Airbags | Bucket) = 75/110, not 75/220.

An easier way to do it is to note that there are 75 cars with air bags and bucket seats out of 220 cars total, so the probability is 75/220. There’s no need for conditional probability here; they’ve given you the numbers.

1 Like

thank you, yes that is easier to think about it like that.

for P(Airbags | Bucket) why did you divide by 110? I thought youre supposed to divide by the total number of trucks 220

You’re given that the truck has bucket seats. So you’re looking only at trucks with bucket seats, of which there are only 110.

1 Like

but answer is .34 . so it should be 75/220. rather 75/110?

question is asking about trucks with airbags and bucket seat. total truck 220 and no of trucks with air bags n bucket seat = 75. according to me it will be 75/220=.34

Greetings friend! In your chart it shows 75 trucks with air bags and bucket seats, and it shows 220 total trucks. So there will be 75/220 availability of such specific trucks. That is where they got 34%. If you just randomly picked a truck out of the 220 total number, there is a 34% chance it would be that type of truck.

Cheers - good luck - you got this.

Yes.

I was addressing an error in OP’s calculation, not stating the final answer.

P(Airbags | Bucket) = 75/110, whereas (Airbags & Bucket) = 75/220.

can you plz check if my answer here for this scenario taken from the same question is correct?