RAISE Act

In some ways I wish they could be more honest with the whole immigration thing. I feel like I need to jump through a lot of hoops that aren’t really designed for me to jump through.

Also, does Black Swan = Atush = Cooler?

this is pretty terrible.

as a canadian, if i get a job offer in the us, i could potentially have 29 points. maybe i’d squeak by with 30 if i was 100th percentile on the english test which is likely but in a couple of years it wouldn’t matter because i’d lose 2pts for age. i am a US licensed financial advisor with a degree from a good school and a CFA and a high earner…

education: foreign bachelors - 5pts

english: 99th-100th percentile - 11pts-12pts

job offer: let’s say potentially 150%-199% because the salary portion in this industry is typically low - 5pts

other situations that come to mind are:

tech genius kids who don’t have a formal degree and who won’t be paid a major salary but instead profitshare or work mostly for equity.

50+ year old investors with millions that doesn’t have a formal degree, well cuz he’s over 50 and that was possible back in the day.

this is very good for the great white north.

immigration is like hiring a person to work for you. would you want someone poor old and unskilled? sure they’ll add some value, but their cost will prolly exceed that.

This is just… incorrect on so many levels. First, not a lot of employers have a choice but to hire anyone else at low wages. Second, I’ve personally overseen hiring of old, poor, and unskilled folks, as well as, immigrants. Turnover can be high (service and construction business), but it can be significantly better than dealing with some entitled higher wage folks, particularly those in unions, who can actually do a worse job and live and die by the clock.

I’m beginning to think the misinformation on immigration is nearing conspiracy theory levels; at least energy spent on finding Big Foot or Nessie draws some tourism and ongoing fun stories. The former is just reckless.

I believe someone who invests $500,000 or more gets an automatic green card as long as they aren’t a terrorist.

You were getting so close to being a progressive hero when you started, but that shot at unions is going to have them protesting infront of your house.

you took my metaphor too literally. you’re lookin at it as an employer.

im looking at it as the government.

why not old people? healthcare costs.

why not poor people? no money to contribute

why not unskilled people? even if we tax them, their revenue contribution will be small.

us citizens are entitled because someone from their lineage granted them that opportunity. they deserve to be entitled. people on the outside need to earn it.

jsut fyi i dont have a problem with immigration. i have a problem with them receiving the same benefits as citizens.

Yeah, you can probably tell I have pretty mixed feelings about unions. I don’t have a problem with them in principle, but it’s when they get too close with government that I take real issue (this goes for corporations as well). There’s massive conflicts of interest, namely a sizeable voting cohort that elects politicians to do things that largely only benefit this cohort. The business often is not allowed to die and thus the union doesn’t really take much risk, pushing systemic problems onto the broader populace.

We’ve personally had some pretty scary run-ins with unions; harassing our non-union employees (often with physical violence), blocking employees to a job site, using courts and local government to slow us down in bidding processes, the list goes on…

my understanding is that the RAISE act proposes to get rid of the investor exemption and instead attribute points for investments.

lol you done ****** up

You’re probably right. I haven’t really paid that much attention. Pretty ironic then that Trump and Kushner were getting roasted a couple of months ago for Kushner’s sister pushing investment in her real estate holdings as a way for Chinese investors to gain green cards.

JK lol

You can also buy your way in, under the proposed law. Invest $1.8m for three years in a business you work in and you get 12 points straight off the bat, although this falls to six points if you only chuck in $1.35m.

im a big fan of selling citizenship. lol

Never gonna happen. At this point Trump is just trolling everyone, all day every day.

I’d score 42 points on that scale, using my actual age, income, etc and guessing where I’d fall on the English. I do like that US degrees get a premium on the points scale, though I doubt any of this would actually happen in the form it is now.

Though it’s definitely time to pull the plug on the diversity green card lottery though. Ridiculous that still exists.

#Troll

nerdy brah, with all the possible love in the world are you having a bad comedown? that is the shittiest of the shit ive read in the last year that wasn’t from stormfront or r/TheDonald and a few others

I’m actually in a hot streak right now plus I got vegas in the horizon.

Sorry you feel that way, but is it so wrong to believe that foreign opportunists who left their home country to have a better life should pay a fee to reap the rewards of citizenship? Shouldn’t domestic citizens be able to benefit from welcoming these foreigners instead of doling out benefits?

Im not against immigration. But I believe it should be reserved to the richest and brightest who add value.

It’s actually quite funny I attended us elementary middle and high school for free and I wasn’t a citizen until I was 18. Then when I became a citizen I received a fuckton of scholarships and grants around 20k per year. Ironic isn’t it, I’m complaining about the very thing I did myself. The old adage do as I say but not as I do.

Anyways I always found it hilarious when people hear this story and say wow America is such a great country to educate even immigrants for free. I always thought wow, What if I left the us? So us foots the bill to educate me then I book it to another country and make money for them. Ridiculous.

With that said I’m a 100 percent grateful to America and have never once felt like an outsider. The people going with me to vegas is a white guy, black guy, Hispanic guy, and me an Asian all connected for the love of whores and basketball. We have a really rich muslim guy too who is a city councilman at 25 but he can’t make it. His dad was an immigrant literally a janitor at start, now his family is worth $15m. Land of opportunity so pay the price you damn immigrants :).