Raise granted for passing L3

A word of advice to all who passed…ask for a raise. If you don’t ask them you’ll never know. I got the news that i passed last Tuesday and on Wednesday morning i walked straight up to my boss’ secretary and made a meeting for last Friday. I asked for my raise on Friday and today i was told by my boss that i will be getting a raise for passing L3. Finally we reap the rewards of our hard work!

Good to go…where do you stay?

what % did you get?

Ehhh… Don’t you all ask for a raise? Now, after completing L2, I’ll ask for about 10% If they grant it to me, I’ll ask for more when I pass L3. I think it’s fair

I’m still wondering what part of the world this happens…

My company is paying for all costs associated with the CFA. I would feel like an ingrate saying “Oh, thank you for paying for all the costs of the CFA course, now that I have passed, please pay me more too. Also, as soon as I can, I am leaving for the first buy side job that comes my way.” My boss would laugh me out of the room.

NICE!!! Will never happen with my firm…

For those of you who passed all three, what was the career advancement or progression as you passed each level? Will passing L2 help in obtaining new opportunities or it doesn’t matter until you’ve passed L3 and a CFA charterholder?

omoo, i work in internal M&A for a bank in Johannesburg, South Africa. I don’t know my % increase, hope to be told that by the end of this week. As for passing each level i think that it is only truely looked upon with true admiration once u get L3

michsyr03 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > For those of you who passed all three, what was > the career advancement or progression as you > passed each level? > Will passing L2 help in obtaining new > opportunities or it doesn’t matter until you’ve > passed L3 and a CFA charterholder? A Level 3 candidate is always a bargain on the job market. IMO most Level 3 candidates are probably better off chilling out in their jobs until they get the charter (provided they are not severely underpaid.) In my case, I changed jobs after passing L1 and passed L2 in the new job. I’ll probably stay here until I pass L3 and decide to stay or leave based on my bonus.

Ok thanks for the insights. My employer have never asked to see my pass marks since I took L1. (I’ve been at the same firm for 4 yrs now) I guess employers could call CFAI to check on CFA Level candidacy if they wanted to right?

This is my first post ever on the site. I have been a lurker for awhile, and will probably continue to be, but I could not resist sharing this story: Obviously we all found out our results on 8/19. It started out as a good day for me because I found out I passed L2… woohoo, right… Let’s celebrate! About 2 hours after discovering that I had passed L2, the boss called the investment team together to talk about our company’s deteriorating situation… losing clients, underperforming, etc. With much regret, he informed us that he had to ask all of us to swallow a pay cut while we work to get our feet back under us!!! I was well aware of the firm’s situation, and halfway expected the news, but still, for it to happen on the same day as results made me chuckle. I can’t say that I am thrilled about it, and would not imagine that this has happened to many people in the history of the CFA Program, but I am trying to make the best of it. Just hoping that someday I can look back on this and view it as nothing more than a comical story… “Did I ever tell you about the day I passed L2 and got a pay cut!” Meanwhile, all my friends and family have been asking me, “… so, do you like, get a big raise, or bonus or something, since you passed the test…” “Sure, most of the time…”

Crazy to do this! Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > omoo, i work in internal M&A for a bank in > Johannesburg, South Africa. I don’t know my % > increase, hope to be told that by the end of this > week. As for passing each level i think that it is > only truely looked upon with true admiration once > u get L3 …then I give it to you. In sub-saharan Africa, this stuff ranks like a top ten MIF if not more. I live in Nigeria. If you couple that with core IB experience, then you are a killer (@ the interviews) or a must-have god in any case…my earlier perspective was in reference to North America and Europe (that world)…

Pay raises of $1000 for L1, $2000 for L2 and $2000 for L3. That’s a pay raise, not a one-time bonus.

CFAAtlanta, I live in Atlanta too, do you work in downtown?

“Oh, you passed? Good. Now you can get back to real work.”

congrats to all of you who even think about a raise… i just passed LII and found out my company does not pay for my LIII registration anymore. so, out of my own pocket, CFAI books and Schweser.

That sucks. If I am in your situation, I might take a break and take level III when the next job pays for it. 600 bucks. I need that money to replace all the tires of my older car. olfy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > congrats to all of you who even think about a > raise… > > i just passed LII and found out my company does > not pay for my LIII registration anymore. > > so, out of my own pocket, CFAI books and Schweser.