Random office lunch story

mp2438 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > some guesstimation questions although easy ones. > This question was pretty much what is the > reciprocal of sqrt(3), and one of the choices > (correct one) is sqrt(3) / 3. Some questions were > so simple it really took me by surprise. > > i.e - An “anglet” is defined as 1% of 1 degree. > How many anglets are there in a circle. Seriously? Wow, really? You mean, the answer was stated as sqrt(3) / 3 rather than 0.57735? This might not be so bad!

edgeraz Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > > > i.e - An “anglet” is defined as 1% of 1 degree. > > How many anglets are there in a circle. > Seriously? > > 360/0.01 =36000 whats difficult in that Bingo. exactly the point I’m making…I actually spent more time looking for the “trick” in the question…turned out there wasn’t any.

gmat doesn’t allow use of calculator, would be really lame for them to ask you to compute sqrt(3) by hand, what a time waster

cfagoal2 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > gmat doesn’t allow use of calculator, would be > really lame for them to ask you to compute sqrt(3) > by hand, what a time waster sqrt(2),sqrt(3) these are standard ones, you dont need a calc for that you get accustomed to them from high school algebra

^ Yes. This all sounds like high school math. Do they ask questions where you have to apply trig identities? I bet no derivatives, though.

I actually got many more answers right on the Kaplan diagnostic (which isn’t a CAT) than I did on the GMATPrep, yet for some reason my GMATPrep score was 100 points higher than Kaplan. I read on gmatclub.com that Kaplan purposely scales your scores down so that you’ll be scared into taking their courses.

getting 800 in GRE quant is very easy, the slightly difficult part is figures and areas , and sometimes angles and a touch of probability questions I gave it 3 years back

Seriously, when did “I gave it” start becoming a term?? It’s even worse than “I wrote the CFA”.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Seriously, when did “I gave it” start becoming a > term?? It’s even worse than “I wrote the CFA”. what’s wrong with that? lets me try pleasing you with other interpretations- I appeared for GRE 3 years back I killed GRE " " " I took GRE " " " anyways its ok, the point is that 800 is an easily achievable target

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I actually got many more answers right on the > Kaplan diagnostic (which isn’t a CAT) than I did > on the GMATPrep, yet for some reason my GMATPrep > score was 100 points higher than Kaplan. I read on > gmatclub.com that Kaplan purposely scales your > scores down so that you’ll be scared into taking > their courses. That sounds about right, and I’ve heard that as well. My scaled score looks higher on other forums I’m scouting, but I don’t want to get ahead of myself…still have trouble with the sentence correction section, even though I’ve quickly skimmed through the Manhattan GMAT Sentence correction book (which is considered to be the bible of that section). Oh well. On the flip side, IHIHM - can you tell me how GMATPrep math questions are in difficulty to the Kaplan exam or any other materials in general? I’ve only taken Kaplan, but those math questions seemed “too” simple. Not many probability questions, lots of “give me” questions (simple plug and chug).

GMATPrep was somewhat harder. I finished the Kaplan section with a few seconds to spare whereas I had to guess on the final 8 questions on GMATPrep. The Kaplan verbal was actually much harder than GMATPrep I thought though, especially the sentence correction section where even I had problems distinguishing a good response from a better response in some of them.

White sauce and hot sauce is the way to go… the halal truck chicken is somewhat suspect though

I like how the “white sauce” is just “white sauce” but the “hot sauce” is not “red sauce.” Makes you wonder what they actually put in that “white” sauce…

Lunch is for wimps.

May I reccomend supersetting bulemia with anorexia?

king_kong Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I like how the “white sauce” is just “white sauce” > but the “hot sauce” is not “red sauce.” Makes you > wonder what they actually put in that “white” > sauce… what about brown sauce

Just remember that for any number ‘x’ … Sqrt(x) / x = 1 / Sqrt(x)