Random recommendation letters

hey if I somehow manage to get a recommendation letter from some important people like Mr. President, the head of central bank, some random senators would that help me getting accepted into grad schools?

Because they know you, you are related or you have achieved anything signficant they would commend favourably?

only if they can draw upon detailed examples of your work, impact, etc. are they really THAT familiar with your work? if it’s just going to be a generic letter then it will likely hurt you. have you seen what recommendation templates look like for top schools? they’re pretty detailed.

Probably couldn’t hurt, but it’s likely that it won’t help as much as you think it would. Depends on the program, and whether their comments 1) suggest they really know you well, and 2) are relevant to the qualifications necessary to do well in your program. For example, a math Ph.D. program might be entertained by an impressive source like that, but it probably won’t convince them you’ll do well in their program. An MPA program probably would count it highly because MPA grads might well work with those types. With an MBA, hard to say, but probably doesn’t hurt too much.

No, not at all, the whole point is showing that I have connections. My reasoning is that they will see value for the other students to know me. JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Because they know you, you are related or you have > achieved anything signficant they would commend > favourably?

flushdraw Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No, not at all, the whole point is showing that I > have connections. My reasoning is that they will > see value for the other students to know me. > > JOE2010 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Because they know you, you are related or you > have > > achieved anything signficant they would commend > > favourably? In that case have Rod Blagojevich write your recommendation letter. He is still a Governor. Students would definitely like to know you.

I think having impressive recommendations might look good, but you probably want some balance - like your boss, and a peer who can actually say what you do, etc. The higher you can go up with actual knowledge of you work the better.

The Recos are going to be invaluable if you wanna Yale with a Law degree. ;-p