Ratings Agencies

Hey all, what are all your views on working for a ratings agency? Has anyone work at one? Was it a good experience?

It’s a great opportunity to use your creativity.

Basically just like every other position in Finance, right? joekinde Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > It’s a great opportunity to use your creativity.

They aren’t bulking up in this economy.

I was only kidding - the agencies sometimes get a bad reputation, since it’s not entirely clear if they work for the issuers or the investors. Well…it is clear. But as an employ, the agencies are a way to get your foot in the door and cut your teeth. From what I understand, the culture is not great. Everybody who works there at a junior level, is trying to get a job on the street (i.e. nobody actually wants to work there). So as long as you are able to effectively leverage your experience to go to the street, you are fine. But there is a significant risk of getting stuck there.

joekinde Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I was only kidding - the agencies sometimes get a > bad reputation, since it’s not entirely clear if > they work for the issuers or the investors. > Well…it is clear. > > But as an employ, the agencies are a way to get > your foot in the door and cut your teeth. From > what I understand, the culture is not great. > Everybody who works there at a junior level, is > trying to get a job on the street (i.e. nobody > actually wants to work there). So as long as you > are able to effectively leverage your experience > to go to the street, you are fine. But there is a > significant risk of getting stuck there. How do funds look upon experience at a ratings agency? Would it appeal to equity funds at all? Also, what about exit opps if you’re on the pubic finance side (reviewing munis and govt stuff, not corporate credit)?

Obviously you wouldn’t be able to leverage public finance experience to land an equity gig. Maybe a muni fund gig though.