Read vignette or questions first?

Who among you read the vignette first, and who reads the questions first? I’ve been reading the vignette first with my mocks but I’m wondering if I should try the other way around for a couple.

If you follow a rule, you’ll most likely make a mistake.

That said, I mostly search for numbers and keywords in a passage. They’re usually linked to a question.

I suggest you try to work out a strategy for yourself, once you are done with two mocks. You can notice some pattern in the questions and vignettes.

I have just numbered them for the sake of brevity.

1. Read the first paragraph and then check the first question, it usually will be for the first paragraph.

2. Some questions, refer to some exhibits(tables, graphs, etc). So if the question says “With respect to Exhibit A, what will so and so…?” Look at exhbit A and also the preceding and succeeding paragraph. You should find your data there. (This is usually the case with Equity, Fixed Income)

3. When the vignette includes statements, read them first and figure out if they are true or false, make a small mark next to the wrong statements. When you get to the questions, there will definitely be something about the statements and you can easily find the wrong one in your vignette.

4. For ethics, read the questions first. most of the questions have names “Is Bryan correct with respect to so and so” or “Is Thomas violating this standard” or something like that. Then go to the vignette and look for the paragraph containing the name. Also, check the preceding and succeeding paragraphs. You will find what you need there.

These methods work like a charm for me in the schweser mocks. I’d suggest a quick skim throught the rest of the vignette, once you find what you need, for any spanners in the works.

That said, S2000magician and other pros recommend reading the questions first and then reading the vignettes. `I tried that a few times,but I couldnt remember the questions. And ended up reading everything again. Might work for you.

There is no hard and fast rule, just make sure you are done with 4 itemsets in the first hour.

I’ve definitely used #3 to good effect. Saves me probably 30 seconds or so by doing it that way. So far I’ve been reading the vignette quite carefully and then moving on to the questions, and while I don’t run out of time I don’t have any extra either. I’ll try some of these for my next mock.

I usually read the question, then extract the relevant paragraph.

Make sure to skim the first one, it usually tells you the starters for the vignette. (type of firm, accounting standards…etc)

Quickly skim the first paragraph, then read the questions first, then look for that info in the vignette.

I find that if you read the whole vignette first, then go to the questions, you end up re-reading the paragraph that it pertains to.

I used to read the Qs first, then the relevant text. In such a way however I often miss something important. Given the fact that I usually finish with enough time (30-40 min.) I’m thinking about changing the strategy.

The questions are independent from each other and generally correspond to a specific paragraph. Each question can be answered by referencing a section in the vignette.

The questions usually go down the vignette in order so you should read the question then find the relevant paragraph and answer. I have noticed that the first paragraph is normally just there to waste your time and they use key words in the first sentence of each paragrpah or tell you which exhibit to reference so you know which paragraph goes with which question.

The first paragraph does usually contain some waffle, but it also often holds key info like whether the firm reports under USGAAP or IFRS etc so it’s definitely worth paying attention.

I think for Ethics it’s better to read through, at least quickly. Maybe you’ll have to read again upon answering but that’s what will ensure you pick up the essential circumstances of the case presented. For the rest I agree the question paragraph tend to be independently formulated. Hard thing is sorting out the relevant info from the jibberish. Unless you know your shit cold…and even then, can you really be that cocky? Whenever I arrive to an answer too quickly I go “wait a minute…” and the mind games begin!

So what I found helpful…since I’ve been really burning out these days now when redoing these mocks is…

I first read the 6 questions in the vignette. Skim through the possible answer choices.

Then I write down what each question is asking for.

For example I make sure I write it big like if it wants FCFE in 2014 I make sure to write it wants FCFE 2014 or, if it only wants after tax operating CF I make sure to write it down.

I also sometimes write down the equation I need next to the question if I can recall it from memory.

If it says refer to statement 1 2 and 3 I write a note statements 1 2 and 3.

For ethics I usually write looking for Violation or looking for non-violation.

Then I jump into the vignette and find the stuff I need from there.

I know it’s tedious…but it’s been really helping me out since I’ve been really been burnt out and sometimes I have been making stupid errors.

So what I found helpful…since I’ve been really burning out these days now when redoing these mocks is…

I first read the 6 questions in the vignette. Skim through the possible answer choices.

Then I write down what each question is asking for.

For example I make sure I write it big like if it wants FCFE in 2014 I make sure to write it wants FCFE 2014 or, if it only wants after tax operating CF I make sure to write it down.

I also sometimes write down the equation I need next to the question if I can recall it from memory.

If it says refer to statement 1 2 and 3 I write a note statements 1 2 and 3.

For ethics I usually write looking for Violation or looking for non-violation.

Then I jump into the vignette and find the stuff I need from there.

I know it’s tedious…but it’s been really helping me out since I’ve been really been burnt out and sometimes I have been making stupid errors.