Reading 13: Time-Series

For any June 2009 test takers who have gotten this far in the readings… I have searched the forums for information surrounding sections 9 (Autoregressive Conditional Heteroskedasticity) and 10 (Regressions With More Than One Time Series) and it seems as if there are no longer any LOS’s dedicated to these subjects. I do not want to skip over them, but the June 2009 CFAI material doesn’t go into too much detail as to how to test for and apply these ideas. What has been your approach to these sections so far? Thanks for the input! TheChad

time series was new in the L2 curriculum for 2008 but it was not tested, good luck

Thanks for the feedback Mr. Norris. Regardless of whether I think that time series is going to be tested, I want to make sure that I cover all of the LOS’s sufficiently. After hearing about TB in 2007 and BOP in 2008, I don’t want to leave any stone unturned. Best, TheChad

i’m sorry, i should have stated my comment differently. you can bet your ass you will see time series tested on the 2009 L2 exam.

LOL good call

Fing Chuck Norris Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you can bet your ass you will see > time series tested on the 2009 L2 exam. Unfortunately I would have said that exact same thing this year. In fact I did right before the morning session, then when it didn’t show up in the AM I said it was a guaranteed item set for the PM session… then got nothing. It’s a total crapshoot. You can’t ignore it but they may very well leave it out.

Like Dwight said it is a crapshoot. Time series is tough. I finally had it down heading into the L2 exam and the quant that showed up was a joke compared to that stuff. You never know. At level 2 with only 120 questions you have to have a pretty good handle on everything. One thing is for sure, I will never have to be tested on time series again. :slight_smile:

thanks for your input everyone…but I am not trying to game the exam, I was just wondering how other candidates were handling sections 9 and 10 in reading 13. There weren’t any LOS’s associated with them and CFAI don’t flesh out the subject matter enough for me to feel comfortable with it. I think I am going to move past it with a general understanding for now and then revisit it again once my Schweser books come in, and if I feel it is necessary, do some outside research to help cement it in my brain. best, TheChad

Probably a good idea. I used only schweser and thought it boiled time series down to only the stuff you needed to know.

I was dissapointed to see that this topic on time series was not tested in 2008. I expected at least a question on Regression analysis linked to some time series. I am sure there would be something on time series in the next exam

Why are you starting so early?

I am guessing Time Series will be on the test, and BOP will not.

or 6 questions on BOP

The thing about BOP is, it only would have taken about 20 seconds of studying to get that sh!t down. I just kind of forgot about it.