Reading 24!!!?!!!

I am having a torrid time with reading 24, Employee Compensation. I am drowning in the verbatim that I can not understand what is essential and what is not. I am contemplating a “retreat” by skipping it for now and have a “rematch” with is later because it is eating into my schedule and I am loosing time! Can anyone suggest how I should approach this reading to better understand? Would it be advisable if I gave it a miss and continue with other readings to return to it later?

it is not difficult. read through it a couple of times to understand what is going on. yes, terminology is different, there is a lot of stuff going on, but the material itself is not that hard. and based on my reading the text last year, it is pretty well written.

It was no walk in the park for me, and I’m a CPA. The concepts are poorly explained and it’s difficult to understand how everything connects together. If you’ve got Schweser, read their version to get a top-down view of things. Learn how to compute economic pension expense. Try the EOC questions. There’s a lot of repetition in those questions. You’ll get a sense what CFAI wants you to know.

two things are happening here. Level II needs you to both know and understand concepts from Level I, as well as be able to synthesize stuff a little more. Nothing is as straightforward as calculation of a ratio or a number. How that number fits into the bigger picture is what is required. all things said, it does take more than 1 read, even if you have the background. (and I did not. I would have read those chapters incrementally maybe 5-6 times before the exam, and each time something new would click). so it does take a lot of work, and that is why the difficulty of the level.

…reading 25 isn’t as bad as 23 and 24. What I notice through all these readings is that the CFA text rarely explains the REASONS for a particular accounting treatment.

wait till you get to PM / SS18 - those chapters are really long

im on R24. All the previous i have heard about L2 are coming to life, the mile long mile deep analogy. R24- I hope i come out alive out of this one.

Reading 24 is arguably the hardest one in the book. FRA lightens up considerably afterwords. sungirl27 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > im on R24. > > All the previous i have heard about L2 are coming > to life, the mile long mile deep analogy. > > R24- I hope i come out alive out of this one.