Real Estate Industry

Been a while since I stopped by here… But got this oppurtunity and thought the forum might have some good insight…

I work at a non-traded REIT in their corp fin/capital markets dept as an analyst… the REIT owns assets in all segments, but wants to focus on Retail, Lodging and Student Housing assets…

I’ve got an opportunity to work for a respected brokerage firm and help out their Midwest Retail investment sales dept as an analyst… wondering if i should make a jump…

I wanna try it out cuz 1) theres potential to make alot more money obviously, 2) never tried it and even though i dont think its my personality to become a broker, I’d still like to try it and see how it goes… what i’m really worried about is not being able to get out of brokerage if i dont like it and jump to finance again… Have any of you guys or do you know anyone who worked in investment sales or debt sales and then was able to switch to buy-side (REITs or other investment firms) after a few years?

AF don’t love mellow? The AF ain’t got no love for mellow? Yall don’t love him? Yall dont love him? Well let it be known then!

Mellow, this is quite an obvioius question but if your true intention is buy-side, why even deviate in sales? Is the money that good to change your planned destination? Many of us who have sales type roles either got here due to the ability to persuade others or are following money. Since it sounds as if you would fall under the latter category, make sure the money is worth it. I would also recommend switching this to the careers tab for i think you will get more thought out responses instead of references to snoop dog. GL

I’d say brokerage -> REIT/ REPE, is the RE equivalent of IB -> traditional PE. Do with that what you please.