Really need advice!

Hi guys. For some reasons, so far I only finished the Notes 1 and half of the Notes 2. I try to spend 3 hrs on CFA each day in the next 40+days. Do you think I could sit the exam or just give it up? Thanks.

make that 40. if you can spare the time I don’t see why not. the least it will do is good preparation for 2009

What are Notes 1 and Half of the Notes 2? If you are reffering to schweser book 1 and book 2 than I think that you have a very small chance of passing unless you have both equity research and fixed income trading experience. Everyone I know thinks that they got lucky when they passed 2 so maybe you will be lucky, too. regardless, I think you need a minumum of 200 hours to pass this exam I am shooting for 250-300.

The way I see it is that if you couldn’t find the motivation to do more than that by this point how are you going to all of a sudden be able to study like mad.

Go back to your 2006 posting on dilegence vs. IQ for the L2. I think you need both to Pass L2 and if you’re waiting till this close to the exam to really start studying you’re not really demonstrating either. Who knows though? If you’re a practicing CPA, and have your PhD in Finance and a Masters in Stats then you could have a shot.

Your critical comments are quite helpful. Anyway I would not give up the exam. Thank you guys.

If you put in the time you could still do it. I would put in a lot more than 3 hours per day though. May need to double it.

Just do the secret sauce and start punching in the question bank. Purchase the CDs and watch 2 times. Read a little here and there. Just focus on questions now and learn the concepts as u go. U have no time to drill. If this works u’ll pass.

CFAelite, I think that you dont need to worry. 40 days is a hell lot of time and u’re done with a book and a half. 3 hrs a day and a lil extra on the days u get off wud do it for u for sure. I started my prep 4 days back. though m putting in 8 hrs a day coz my MBA just got over, in the remaining time i have only 14 days(going out small getaways every now and then) when i can study and i think i’ll be able to do it. Dont get bogged down by anybody. And the CFAI ppl saying that u require 250 hrs of study is bulls**t…! I cleared level 1 with 12 days of studies and taking exams(10-12hrs per day) and i passed with flyng colors. got 70%+ in 4 subs(FSA, FI,Corp Fin, Quants). So chuck the tension and get going !!

I know quite a few people who barely have seen the material up to this point. And trust me, some of them will pass L2 this year so I wouldn’t see why you wouldn’t have a shot. You should try and tackle FSA and Equity asap though.

CFAlite said he/she is going to try so I wish them luck. There are very few people with the mental capacity to pass this exam with 120 hours of studying and no experience in the field. I know an Actuarial Fellow who says he studied about 100 hours and failed. This guy has experience at a rating agency, has priced bond insurance, and is a member of Mensa (not to mention that Actuarial 8 goes into more detail than the entire CFA curriculum). There is a lot of luck involved when you start reducing study hours. I agree with MCPASS; focus on FSA and Equity. Equity is a relative breeze.

gurjeet Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFAelite, I think that you dont need to worry. 40 > days is a hell lot of time and u’re done with a > book and a half. 3 hrs a day and a lil extra on > the days u get off wud do it for u for sure. I > started my prep 4 days back. though m putting in 8 > hrs a day coz my MBA just got over, in the > remaining time i have only 14 days(going out small > getaways every now and then) when i can study and > i think i’ll be able to do it. Dont get bogged > down by anybody. And the CFAI ppl saying that u > require 250 hrs of study is bulls**t…! I > cleared level 1 with 12 days of studies and taking > exams(10-12hrs per day) and i passed with flyng > colors. got 70%+ in 4 subs(FSA, FI,Corp Fin, > Quants). > So chuck the tension and get going !! Well if the kid who started four days ago says you can do it with all of his experience with the L2 material, you surely can.

Not many people have the ability and time available to study 10-12 hrs a day for 40 days straight. The odds are against you at this point if you haven’t started, but it’s worth a shot since you already paid for the exam.

Red, i meant 3 hrs a day means 120 hrs. i studies 10-12hrs for 12 days -120-144 hrs. 10-12 hrs for 40 days wud mean 400-480 hours !! thats enough for the 3 levels put together. Check ur words before u post coz it may end up discouraging somebody.

do not give up… you dont need to know 100% to sit or pass. 40 days is plenty at worst, go in and get the experiences.