Reasons for NO SHOWS

Why don’t people show up? I don’t get it. Examination registration and books are almost like $800!!

My buddy signed up for the exam, but had no intention of writing it, because it shows prospective employers that you’re serious about finance when you sign up. It worked for him, he got into i-banking at one of the major banks in Canada, and I know they asked him about the exam on the interview (a bit weird for an i-banking position, but still). Apparently a lot of MBAs do that. Then there’s also a bunch of people who know they can’t make it and would rather not put themselves through the pain of actually giving it a shot. Just a guess…

But won’t his company call CFA institute to get his results? Any if CFA institute does not release test scores/results, then theoretically, anyone could say they passed all 3 levels of the CFA. Where is the verification in all of this? Don’t companies ask for a certificate or diploma-like type thing to confirm your passing of the series?

wow… that sucks… if i were your fren, I would probably just up CFA candidate on my resume and not bother to spend the $… still, im not complaining… can anyone confirm if these no-shows are added into candidate base for passing mark calculation ? technically speaking though, they prob wouldnt be included b’cos they don’t have a valid score for the passing percentile computation…

lola Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My buddy signed up for the exam, but had no > intention of writing it, because it shows > prospective employers that you’re serious about > finance when you sign up. It worked for him, he > got into i-banking at one of the major banks in > Canada, and I know they asked him about the exam > on the interview (a bit weird for an i-banking > position, but still). Apparently a lot of MBAs do > that. > > Then there’s also a bunch of people who know they > can’t make it and would rather not put themselves > through the pain of actually giving it a shot. > Just a guess… So he paid almost $800 just for that…damn…and he can’t prove it either lol. He should have just wrote that he aced all the exams lol

I’m sorry to inform you that, no, unfortunately no shows are NOT included in the calculation of about a 35% pass rate - I was unsure and just found this fact written in the FAQ section of the CFAI website. Bummer, that would have helped a lot. Lots of no-shows in Tokyo too (maybe 25%). I know one who just didn’t study at all and figured - what’s the point of ruining a day…