received CFAI study material today

I have to say I am really impressed. Just took a glance at the notes for about an hour and it is well written. I highly doubt schweser will get my business this year (even with the 50% discount for repeaters like me).

Eagerly awaiting mine. Hope the CFAI material proves sufficient reading supplemented by practice qs…

I definitely agree with skk6. Got the package 2 weeks ago. Being an equity trader, I went straight to Reading 41 on execution and found it very well presented. The explanation on Implementation Shortfall is clear and straight forward. Did the questions as well and started to get a feel of what the written exam would like. I’ve just started Reading 7 on Behavourial Finance; again well written with good examples. Hate to say this but I found reading it quite fun. Schweser and Stalla should start to get worried.

Got my CFAI today as well - and have to say I fully support skk6: the books indeed look well structured and organized. I used Schweser for L1 and L2, but for L3 I feel that CFAI is the only material you need; It might seem a bit bigger in terms of pages, but is definitely worth it, especially considering that CFA Institute is trying to re-capture the market of study materials from Schweser (on the last exam I noticed many small details I just knew by chance that were asked on the exam, but where not in Schweser books). Makes Sense?

I like the CFAI texts…I did all of reading 3 (behavioral finance), but found that what was 150 pages can easily be condensed into about 10-20. Hence, I’ll read the CFAI books now (b/c there is nothing else to read at this time), but when time starts to matter I’m going with Schweser.

I am also in full agreement… CFAI did a really great job with the reading materials. They are a little thicker but I have noticed a much more extensive index in the back, glossary and even some areas within the books that are optional readings which makes these volumes slightly thicker than they otherwise would have been. Aside from perhaps a testbank from Schweser, I doubt I will use them for anything this year… PJStyles

I just got my books as well. CFAI definitely is trying to take chunk of Schweser business. Instead of getting four gigantic books like I had for the '07 L2, these are broken up into six much smaller books. The amount of material may be the same, but these are much more manageable to carry around. They are somewhat thicker than Schweser, but they definitely have the Study Note feel. My work spoils me so I’ll end up getting Schweser too, but whereas before I relied probably 80% on Schweser and 20% on the curriculum, this year will be at least 50/50, if not more reliance on the curriculum.

I just paid the man today, I’m officially a Level III schmuck! How long did you guys have to wait for materials after paying?

Mine took about a week.

Mine took 8 days.

PJStyles Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am also in full agreement… CFAI did a really > great job with the reading materials. They are a > little thicker but I have noticed a much more > extensive index in the back, glossary and even > some areas within the books that are optional > readings which makes these volumes slightly > thicker than they otherwise would have been. > > Aside from perhaps a testbank from Schweser, I > doubt I will use them for anything this year… > > PJStyles Agree. I read the behavior finance part, and liked it. The only complain is lack of end of charpter questions.

Am I reading this correclty , there are no additional textbooks to buy/study from CFAI apart from the notes ?

That’s correct.

Schweser is expensive. its about 700 for the essential solution. I have a solution of my own.