Recognition in Canada ?

Is this designation even recognized here. I recently graduated and appeared for Level 1. Searching for entry level position, but everyone wants enrollment in CA/CGA/CPA. I can understand under Accounting section, but there are tons of postings under financial analyst and even in there it says CA, CGA, CMA, CPA ? I don’t see anywhere CFA mentioned. Some of positions say e.g Interest in the Canadian Securities Course/CFA designation Are they comparing CSC with CFA ??? I looked over CSC, its a license and goes nowhere near in depth even compare to Level 1. Makes me wonder if I am applying at right place. Any guidance would be appreciated.

I think you are on crack

There are more CFAs per capita in Canada than anywhere else in the world. You pretty much need it to do anything finance related. That’s my understanding anyways. The CSC is not even worth the paper its printed on.

the job title “financial analyst” is an accountant. cfa would be useless for these positions. you should be looking for “investment/security/research analyst” positions. there are much fewer “investment/security/research analyst” positions than there are “financial analyst” positions. i’d say 1 for every 5 as a rough estimate. EVERY major corp needs financial analysts, but not every major corp needs research analysts. generally, you should be looking at jobs within investment companies (big 6 banks, GS, GMP, CF, DC, GC, WW, RJ) if you’re looking for a “finance” job not insurance companies (MFC, SLF, GWO) or other corps.

cpham Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There are more CFAs per capita in Canada than > anywhere else in the world. You pretty much need > it to do anything finance related. That’s my > understanding anyways. > > The CSC is not even worth the paper its printed > on. my taxi driver in toronto had one, and he just works in the cash market.

Get out of Canada; everybody is over-educated with multiple designations after their names (even for BOM work) and the limited good investment jobs are ol’ boys club.

CSC is an entry level requirement to become licensed to sell securites in canada through an IIROC firm. It is a retail sales qualification it is not even comparable to the CFA. Think stockbroker at a bank owned brokerage. You should be able to finish the course in about two weeks right out of high school. The CFA is well regarded in Canada but as the guy says there are the most per capita in Canada and the lowest averge pay in the world. For example the advisor at the local bank branch has a both a CFA and a CFP. Aside from Toronto there are very few positions that actually use the CFA.

Its true that its basically becoming a requirement here. There were 1100 candidates writing last saturday in Vancouver. Considering the number of jobs here where the CFA is legitimatly useful, that’s a ridiculously high number of people who may have their charter in a few years.

Are there even that many finance jobs in Vancouver?

No way are there that many in Vancouver. There are only a small number of investment management firms here. Maybe if you include retail type sales mutual funds, stocks, bank branches, credit unions. But the CFA is overkill for that. I get CFA’s with MBA applying to be my assitant or asking to have an unpaid intern

Keys Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Get out of Canada; everybody is over-educated with > multiple designations after their names (even for > BOM work) and the limited good investment jobs are > ol’ boys club. Is New York, Chicago or London any less competitive?

flynnch Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > No way are there that many in Vancouver. There > are only a small number of investment management > firms here. > > Maybe if you include retail type sales mutual > funds, stocks, bank branches, credit unions. But > the CFA is overkill for that. > > I get CFA’s with MBA applying to be my assitant or > asking to have an unpaid intern In Vancouver? wow

Hey its a great designation with lots of knowledge but its only one part of the whole puzzle.

thank you for all reply’s. I think many financial firms have it as one of the requisites. I think I will take them, especially in such a competitive environment.

former trader Wrote: > Is New York, Chicago or London any less > competitive? Yes and no; if you’re referring to competition in these places (my experience is NYC), you will be competing with the best minds in the world for many good jobs --> the difference is there are many good jobs to apply to and they hire (and fire) faster in these cities. Canadian hiring takes way too long so you rot in some crum ass position. In NYC, you could be jumping around, getting the requisite experience and upward mobility. I lived in Toronto; would never move back…but I lived in NY before that :slight_smile:

Just moved to New York from Toronto…I would have to agree with Keys… the finance sector seems far more active and diverse than Toronto…as for the first post the CFA and CSC cannot be compared one is form licensing like the Series 7 in the U.S. and the other is apost grad charter

hi… im planning to move to canada once my paperwork is done. Calgary to be exact. u guys are saying CFA wont’ really help much??? any suggestions as to how i should go about the move and searching for jobs???

I’m in Vancouver, and for real this place has NOTHING when it comes to finance. I’m seriously considering of moving to Toronto, or prob NYC as an even better option. One question though, is that do you think it’s a lot better to relocate first and actually being a local before finding jobs? I highly doubt they would even consider looking at my resume if my address if in Vancouver and I sent it to some US firms.

Yeah I always thought your best bet would be to have a permanent residence in a new city, to show your commitment and dedication to employers. And I think it’s pretty tough to get a job in a foreign country as you can’t get a job unless you have a work visa, and you can’t get a work visa unless you have a job. Your best chance is if you’re rather experienced. If your a straight out of undergrad person, good luck.

@thegames:

I think I understand your confusion. The charter does say Chartered ‘Financial Analyst’ after all, so why should the job of Financial Analyst actually ask for CPA designations?

Unfortunately, I agree with what @system said, there’s an overabundance of CFA candidates and not enough jobs to mach. From what I can see, a number of relevant senior positions still consider CFA an asset, but they usually prefer designation holders as opposed to simple enrollment. There’s virtually no entry level positions that require CFA candidacy, whereas CPA is like the holy grail.

And also as @system said, almost every firm has the need for a financial analyst from an accounting perspective, since it’s an essential part of business, but very few firms require investment analysis --> hence the concentration of the handful of jobs in the banking sector.