recommendation

^HAHA +1

Are you guys all serious? Call a spade a spade.

bmwwiles, do you make $50,001?

bmwwiles Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Are you guys all serious? > > Call a spade a spade. UNless this person is unethical or legally insane, diavskr may or may not have the judgment to call a spade a spade. Too many people spend too much time on self-importance in this world. Also, what if a person learned from past mistakes and want to make a better effort. Who are you to say he shouldnt be allowed to? Let a man try and make a living.

He can try somewhere else. If the person is useless why do they deserve non-useless, and potentially attractive, people from going out of their way (and potentially burn bridges) to cover for their history of uselessness?

Do you seriously think your judgment as an intern in college is worthy for a hiring manager to make a a yes/no comment? The safe route is just to say while you worked directly with this person, you do not have enough context to give a positive reference as ihihm mentioned. For all you know this person could have excelled greatly to others in the company and just decided to be a jackass lameo in front of the interns.

adehbone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you seriously think your judgment as an intern > in college is worthy for a hiring manager to make > a a yes/no comment? The safe route is just to say > while you worked directly with this person, you do > not have enough context to give a positive > reference as ihihm mentioned. > > For all you know this person could have excelled > greatly to others in the company and just decided > to be a jackass lameo in front of the interns. +1

So whats it gonna be daviskr. eh? eh? I really need to know today so I can decide if i like you or not. no pressure.

Even if you are convinced that someone is a jackass, never say so in a professional setting. This can come back to bite you in the ass in so many ways.

If you weren’t in a position to realistically judge the person’s performance, then say so and leave it at that. You don’t want to get into reputation-smearing on the basis of personal gripes. If the person doing the hiring is a close family friend, and the candidate was a raving a-hole, you might say something about your perception of the candidate’s inter-personal skills. But keep it as professional as possible. I wouldn’t want my close family friend hiring someone unstable because I was too nice to speak up a little.

adehbone Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do you seriously think your judgment as an intern > in college is worthy for a hiring manager to make > a a yes/no comment? The safe route is just to say > while you worked directly with this person, you do > not have enough context to give a positive > reference as ihihm mentioned. > > For all you know this person could have excelled > greatly to others in the company and just decided > to be a jackass lameo in front of the interns. Failed to mention this company hired me after graduation and I worked with this person 3+ years until they quit. Our regional offices are very small (3 to 6 employees), so I got to know him well professionally and personally. Overall sentiment was “good riddance” when they left.

I would be passive-aggressive about it but definitely would not follow previous posters’ advice to fake a positive reference.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would be passive-aggressive about it but > definitely would not follow previous posters’ > advice to fake a positive reference. +1

Seriously? Big difference giving reference as representative of a company and a personal acquaintance asking for the skinny. If the person is a personal contact, they are looking for unfiltered info. If you withold your impression, you’re chosing the dweeb over your family friend. I vote full disclosure, not in writing.

^agree

so whats it gonna be sister?

daviskr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I received a vm this afternoon from a contact who > is getting ready to interview a candidate later > this week. The applicant previously worked at my > company and he’s curious if I know them and if so > what my opinion/thoughts would be. Turns out I > directly worked with this person while interning > in college. Let’s just say I was NOT a fan. How > do you all think I should handle the conversation > if my recommendation would not be positive? Any > thoughts or suggestions would be helpful … This is sheer ego trip. How much did you know when you “worked as intern” in college to make a substantive reference about the role or fit of this person with his future employer? And that you were not “his fan” (by the way, is it sexual or otherwise? or tattoos?)makes you think you are going to screw up his destiny? They worked hard to get a job interview in this market and you think it’s fun to spoil that chance? I disagree with faking positive references in the same way I disagree with incompetent references like this one you are intending to do to satisfy your fantasies. My advice would be if you have to say anything, it better be positive, anything else is sentimental tosh.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ve declined to provide references before, it > goes a little something like “I worked with mo34 > but cannot provide a positive reference for this > person so you should seek someone else’s opinion.” My only hope is that this is imaginary too. I would be interested to know which employers rely on your professional judgement, if any.

JOE2010 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > daviskr Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I received a vm this afternoon from a contact > who > > is getting ready to interview a candidate later > > this week. The applicant previously worked at > my > > company and he’s curious if I know them and if > so > > what my opinion/thoughts would be. Turns out I > > directly worked with this person while > interning > > in college. Let’s just say I was NOT a fan. > How > > do you all think I should handle the > conversation > > if my recommendation would not be positive? > Any > > thoughts or suggestions would be helpful … > > > This is sheer ego trip. > > How much did you know when you “worked as intern” > in college to make a substantive reference about > the role or fit of this person with his future > employer? And that you were not “his fan” (by the > way, is it sexual or otherwise? or tattoos?)makes > you think you are going to screw up his destiny? > They worked hard to get a job interview in this > market and you think it’s fun to spoil that > chance? > > I disagree with faking positive references in the > same way I disagree with incompetent references > like this one you are intending to do to satisfy > your fantasies. > > My advice would be if you have to say anything, it > better be positive, anything else is sentimental > tosh. And the winner for least-informed, most useless post on this thread is…

Pretty sure, JOE2010 missed the post where daviskr explained that she worked with this dude for 3+ years and not just as an intern.